Contact Us

Always call 911 in an emergency; non-emergencies, call 410-313-2200.

For general information: 410-313-3200 or
Anonymous tips: 410-313-STOP or
Drug activity tips: 410-290-DRUG or
Gang activity tips:
Internal Affairs: 410-313-5800 or


Get in touch with your local Community Resource Officer here.

Police Headquarters/Northern District                  
3410 Court House Drive
Ellicott City, MD 21043
Southern District
11226 Scaggsville Road
Laurel, MD 20723
James N. Robey Public Safety Training Center
2200 Scott Wheeler Drive
Marriottsville, MD 21104
Community Outreach
10741 Little Patuxent Parkway
Columbia, MD 21045
Provide Feedback

Citizen survey

To provide general feedback to the department or to compliment the agency or any of it’s members, please complete a Citizen Survey.

To file a complaint against an officer, please see the following section.

File a complaint

Our core values at the Howard County Police Department are Integrity, Pride and Community. You’ll see those words on our patch logo displayed throughout the agency.

We protect and serve—and we always strive to provide the highest level of service. We expect all of our members to do their best in any situation. Part of that commitment is to investigate all complaints against our members in an unbiased, thorough and fair way.

The honor of our agency depends on the personal integrity and discipline of each member. We expect our members to exceed the highest standards of personal conduct, both on- and off-duty.

The Internal Affairs complaint process allows us to hear concerns, investigate issues and evaluate training. It also helps us better understand the concerns of the public, which may not always have an in-depth understanding of police practices.

The Internal Affairs process offers an open line of communication and unbiased review that benefits everyone involved, both in the community and the agency.

Every member of society, citizens and officers alike, deserve to be treated with respect, fairness and dignity. At the Howard County Police Department, we expect no less.

Complaint Process

How to file a complaint:

  • Complete the Complaint Against Personnel Form #1715. All forms may be printed from our web site, picked up at a district station, or mailed to you. Complaints may be filed by phone or in-person. Your complaint will be acknowledged in a timely manner upon receipt.
  • If your complaint relates to use of force by an officer it must be filed within 366 days of the incident and captured on a form #1715. These complaints are sworn to under the penalty of perjury and must be completed by one of the following: the aggrieved individual; a member of the aggrieved individual’s family; an individual with firsthand knowledge obtained as a result of the presence at, and observation of, the alleged incident; an individual who has a video recording of the incident that is to the best of their knowledge unaltered; or by a parent or guardian in the case of a minor.
  • Complainants will be updated by the assigned investigator every 30 days on the status of the investigation. You may contact the Internal Affairs Division at 410-313-5800 at any time to receive an update.
  • At the conclusion of the investigation, the investigator will contact you to inform you that the investigation has been forwarded to the appropriate command for review and disposition.
  • The final disposition can take up to 105 days to complete and may be extended, if circumstances outside of HCPD’s control require. The final disposition will be provided to you via certified mail from Internal Affairs.

As a complainant, you will receive a fair, impartial and thorough investigation.

Download a copy of the department's Internal Affairs Process
(in Spanish) (in Korean)