The Human Rights Commission (HRC) was established in 1969. It is comprised of 11 members and a non-voting student member, 18 years old or under. Commissioners must live in Howard County and represent the diversity of county residents. The duties and responsibilities of the Commission are prescribed by law and include recommending a civil rights policy to the County Executive and the County Council. This includes having the authority to conduct surveys and studies concerning civil liberties in order to promote equality in the community. In addition to hosting the annual HRC awards, they support OHRE outreach activities.
Our next meeting is hybrid and will take place on Thursday, November 17th at 7:00 P.M. in person at 9820 Patuxent Woods Dr., #211, Columbia, MD 21046 and virtually.
- Scott B. Markow, Chair - term expires: 3/1/2023
- Jonah Hornum, Vice Chair - term expires: 3/1/2024
- Bob Ford - term expires: 3/1/2023
- Gabriel Terrasa - term expires: 5/4/2025
- Peter Hwang - term expires: 3/21/2024
- Joan Hash - term expires: 6/1/2024
- Kui Zhao - term expires: 3/1/2025
- Lynda Earle - term expires: 3/1/2024
- Nina Basu - term expires: 4/4/2025
- Tiffany Releford - term expires: 9/8/2024
- Bianca Chang - term expires: 3/1/2025
- Bethany Cho (Student Member) - term expires: 6/30/2023
- Cynthia Peltzman, HRC Legal Counsel, Howard County Office of Law
- Yolanda F. Sonnier, Executive Secretary
- Kathy Morales, Recording Secretary
The Human Rights Commission meets every third Thursday of the month at 7:00 PM, except in August. HRC meetings are open to the public.
For more information on our meetings, please send us an email at: [email protected]
Upcoming Meeting Dates:
|Thursday, November 17, 2022|
|Thursday, December 15, 2022|
January 30th Retreat
November 19, 2020
November 15th (Meeting Canceled)
2022 Human Rights Commission Awards
The 2022 Human Rights Commission Award Ceremony took place on Wednesday, October 19th at the Owen Brown Interfaith Center. Thank you to everyone that attended this year's ceremony. This year's winners are:
2022 James E. Henson, Sr. & Jean W. Toomer Award Recipient: Kazandra Anderson and Dr. Yvette Oquendo
2022 Colette Roberts Organization Award Recipient: Bridgeway Community Church
2022 Dr. Murray Simon Student Award Recipient: Corinne Chau
Please take a look at this year's program book. Nominations for next year's awards will occur in August 2023.