The Human Rights Commission (HRC) was established in 1969. It is comprised of 11 members and a non-voting student member, 18 years old or under. Commissioners must live in Howard County and represent the diversity of county residents. The duties and responsibilities of the Commission are prescribed by law and include recommending a civil rights policy to the County Executive and the County Council. This includes having the authority to conduct surveys and studies concerning civil liberties in order to promote equality in the community. In addition to hosting the annual HRC awards, they support OHRE outreach activities.
Our next meeting is hybrid and will take place on Thursday, June 16th at 7:00 P.M. in person at 9820 Patuxent Woods Dr., #211, Columbia, MD 21046 and virtually.
- Scott B. Markow, Chair - term expires: 3/1/2023
- Jonah Hornum, Vice Chair - term expires: 3/1/2024
- Bob Ford - term expires: 3/1/2023
- Gabriel Terrasa - term expires: 5/4/2025
- Peter Hwang - term expires: 3/21/2024
- Joan Hash - term expires: 6/1/2024
- Kui Zhao - term expires: 3/1/2025
- Lynda Earle - term expires: 3/1/2024
- Nina Basu - term expires: 4/4/2025
- Tiffany Releford - term expires: 9/8/2024
- Bianca Chang - term expires: 3/1/2025
- Sahara Ukaegbu (Student Member) - term expires: 6/30/2022
- Melissa Goldmeier, HRC Legal Counsel, Howard County Office of Law
- Yolanda F. Sonnier, Executive Secretary
- Kathy Morales, Recording Secretary
The Human Rights Commission meets every third Thursday of the month at 7:00 PM, except in August. HRC meetings are open to the public.
Upcoming Meeting Dates
Thursday, June 16
Thursday, July 21
Thursday, September 15
Thursday, October 20
Thursday, November 17
Thursday, December 15
January 30th Retreat
November 19, 2020
November 15th (Meeting Canceled)
2021 Human Rights Commission Awards
Do you know a Howard County resident or organization who works for human and civil rights? If so, nominate them for a Human Rights Commission Award. Please submit nominations by August 15, 2021.