Gary J. Arthur Community Center
Monday - Saturday: 7am-9pm
Main Phone: 410-313-4840
Inclement Weather: 410-313-4452 (option 1)
Closed: January 1, Easter Sunday, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving (Thursday & Friday) & December 25.
Closes at 5pm: December 24 & 31.
Amenities: fitness room, multi-purpose rooms, dance room, gymnasium, ping pong tables, pickleball nets, 50 + center, playground, and more. It is adjacent to Western Regional Park & Library.
Howard County Recreation and Parks Rules of Conduct
- No food or beverages in unauthorized areas; glass containers are prohibited.
- No smoking in buildings or on school property.
- No soliciting or loitering.
- No interference with employee or volunteer duties.
- No harassment or inappropriate or indecent conduct or language.
- No unauthorized use of illegal drugs, intoxicants or weapons.
- No parking in unauthorized areas or driving/parking on field areas.
- No unauthorized alteration or installation of equipment.
- No defacing of property.
- No conduct that may jeopardize the safety of others.
- All patrons must report to the front desk for check-in up arrival. Everyone that enters the building must pay the drop-in fee or be a center member, program participant or rental reservation attendee.
- A photo ID is required for drop-in users and nonmembers.
- Children ages 15 and under must always be accompanied by an adult.
- The actions and conduct of an organized group are the responsibility of the group leader.
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted without a permit.
- Participants must adhere to Department of Recreation & Parks Rules of Conduct and behave in an orderly manner.
- Customers are encouraged to secure their belongings. The center is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Locks on lockers must be removed after each use. Any locks present at the end of the day will be cut and removed.
- Shoes and shirts must always be worn outside of the locker rooms.
- Pets are not permitted in the facility.
- Animals shall not be left unattended in vehicles or on park property.
During the closure, we have adjusted our operations and amenities. We have trained staff, added signage, temporarily closed high touch areas, and cleaned and moved equipment and furniture to promote physical distancing.
Monthly payments on memberships restarted on Monday, July 6. The missed time from the closure has been added onto your membership.
If you are uncomfortable returning at this time, you may elect to freeze or cancel your membership. Please allow two business days for your request to be processed.
Center Memberships (all ages)
The Center Membership gives you access to three community centers including Gary J. Arthur, Roger Carter, and North Laurel Community Center. These memberships provide patrons access to the gymnasium (basketball/volleyball courts), game room (billiards & table tennis, and walking track only. For access to the Fitness Room and/or Roger Carter Community Center's pool, see Fit4U or Go50+ Memberships.
|Annual (3+ yrs)||$25||$50|
|Card Replacement Fee||$10||$10|
*Ages 15 and under must be accompanied by an adult over 18 years old at all times; exceptions made during Teen Zone.
Fit4U Memberships (3-49 yrs)
The Fit4U Membership gives you access to three community centers including Gary J. Arthur, Roger Carter, and North Laurel Community Center. These memberships provide patrons access to the fitness and aerobics/dance rooms at open (non-class) times, use of the gymnasiums during open and drop-in programs, access to the game rooms, and access to the pool at Roger Carter. There are also discounts on center activities and events. Receive 5% off of two or more Fit4U memberships of the same length purchased or renewed at the same time.
*Permitted use of pool, gymnasium and walking track. Must be accompanied by an adult over 18 years old at all times; exceptions made during Teen Zone.
**Members 13-15 years old must first complete a mandatory orientation with the fitness coordinator and must be accompanied by an adult over 18 years old at all times; exceptions made during Teen Zone.
Go50+ Memberships (50 yrs+)
The Go50+ membership packages are designed to enhance the quality of life for the 50+ adult population that lives, works and plays in Howard County. Howard County Recreation & Parks and Office on Aging have partnered together to provide packages that are designed to give individuals access to meet their health and wellness needs.
|Package||Resident Rate||Nonresident Rate|
*Access to game rooms, gymnasiums, walking tracks, and wellness programs at Gary J. Arthur and N. Laurel Community Centers and all Howard County 50+ Centers.
**Access to all 50+ Center package benefits and fitness and dance/aerobics rooms at all three community centers and 50+ centers.
***Access to all 50+ Center and Fitness package benefits and access to the pool during open swim hours.
Drop-in Basketball: Mondays & Fridays, 5-9pm
Drop-in Volleyball: Wednesdays, 5-9pm
50+ Basketball: Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays, 9-11am*
*Preregistration required by calling the the Glenwood 50+ Senior Center at 410-313-5440 during operating hours, Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm
The Gary J. Arthur Community Center periodically offers fitness and nutrition workshops, health and wellness events, and orientations for new equipment. For more information on any of the opportunities listed below, contact Sara Schwab, the center's fitness coordinator, at 410-313-4842.
Personal Training (13 yrs+)
Each 30-minute session is customized to fit your individual needs and abilities. Private training sessions are one participant to one trainer; semi-private sessions are up to three participants to one trainer. Sessions are non-transferable. Registration for sessions is first-come, first-served. All sessions must be scheduled at the time of registration.
Private 30-minute session: $45
Private 60-minute session: $75
(4) Private 30-minute sessions: $160
(4) Group 30-minute sessions: $240
(8) Private 30-minute sessions: $299
(8) Group 30-minute sessions: $459*
*Maximum of three participants for Group sessions (must register together)
Meet The Trainer
(For Fit4U and GO50+ Fitness Members)
Do you have questions about the fitness equipment? Want to learn more details about upcoming workshops? Need some suggestions on how to achieve your personal goals? Contact Sara Schwab to sign up for the next meeting time, at 410-313-4842.
First Thursday of each month, 1-2pm
Fourth Tuesday of each month, 5-6pm
If Howard County schools delay their opening, the following will occur:
- One-hour delay, the center will open at 9:30am.
- Two-hour delay, the center will open at 10:30am.
- If Howard County schools are closed due to inclement weather, we will do our best to open the center at 10:30am.
If the Howard County Snow Emergency Plan is in effect, the center will be closed. Once the Snow Emergency Plan has been lifted, we will do our best to open the center as soon as possible. Visit Maryland's DOT CHART webpage to view current snow emergency declarations.
Before heading to the center, call our Information Status Line for updates on operating hours and inclement weather: 410-313-4452 (opt. 1).