The DC Metroplex BWI Community Roundtable is an initiative of the Maryland Department of Transportation Maryland Aviation Administration (MDOT MAA), formed at the request of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The Howard County Office of Transportation Administrator serves as the County Executive's representative on the Roundtable. The Roundtable is responsible for the following:
- Monitoring the implementation of air traffic procedures established by FAA in the District of Columbia Metroplex Project, including but not limited to the procedures implemented under the NextGen program;
- Identifying possible alternative routings and procedures;
- Evaluating noise effects and other environmental effects, of possible route changes; and
- Making recommendations to the FAA for further consideration.
Follow the link below to the DC Metroplex BWI Community Roundtable - MAA website where annual reports, noise exposure monthly reports, and meeting information can be found.
In the 2023 legislative session, the Maryland General Assembly passed SB0162, Maryland Aviation Commission - Duties, Composition, and Member Orientation, Maryland Aviation Commission (MAC), that included the following changes to the MAC:
- required the commission consider information and advice from additional stakeholders and consider the aviation, economic, business, environmental, health, and community-related impacts or any other impacts it finds relevant to its decisions and the decisions of the MAA;
- increased the number of voting members on the MAC from 9 to 13 - including 2 that have been recommended by the Howard County Senate delegation;
- required commissioners to receive an orientation session relating to the MAC’s duties;
- expanded the MAC’s annual report to include additional information; and
- subjected the MAC to enhanced Open Meetings Act requirements.
Howard County has offered to host some of that information, which you can find below.
- BWI-Roundtable Maryland Aviation Commission Member Orientation (part 1 of 3)
- Excerpt of Public Comments from BWI Roundtable meeting April - July 2017 (part 2 of 3), and
- Projecting-the-Health-and-Economic-Burden-of-Aircraft-Noise-Dr. Zafar Zafari and Jeong-eun Park (part 3 of 3)
- Excerpt of Dr. Zafari's BWI Roundtable Q&A (Starting at 0:25:00 and ending at 0:59:00)