Columbia Downtown Housing Corp
CDHC is organized specifically to fulfill the vision of the Downtown Columbia Plan for a full spectrum and diverse mix of housing in Downtown Columbia, including affordable housing that will ensure low, moderate and middle- income families will have an opportunity to live in Downtown Columbia.
- Reverend Mary Ka Kanahan, President
- Gregory Fitchitt, Ex-Officio
- Christopher J. Fritz, Secretary
- Jolly Burks, Treasurer
- Jeryl Baker
- Bethany Hooper
- John DeZinno
- Gary Garofalo
- Patricia Sylvester
- Leonardo McClarty
- Peter Morgan
- Russell Snyder
- Reverend Dr. Robert Turner
- Heather Sheridan
Click here for a status of affordable housing availability in Downtown Columbia.
Please check back for another application round when funding is available.
January 24, 2023 - 4:30 pm - Annual Meeting Agenda - Minutes
March 28, 2023 - 4:30 pm - Meeting Agenda (revised)
May 23, 2023 - 4:30 pm Virtual - Agenda - Please email Kanise Lewis [email protected] for a link to attend.
January 25, 2022 - 4:30 - 6:30 pm - Annual Meeting - Agenda - Minutes
March 22, 2022 - 4:30 pm - Agenda - Minutes
June 28, 2022 - 4:30 pm - Agenda
October 25, 2022 - 4:30 pm - Agenda - Meeting via WebEx - Please email Kanise Lewis at [email protected] to register.
- January 26, 2021 - 4:30-6:30 pm - Annual Board Meeting - Agenda - Minutes
- March 23, 2021 - 4:30-6:30 pm - Agenda - Minutes
- June 22, 2021 - 4:30-6:30 pm - Agenda - Below are presentations from this meeting
- August 24, 2021 - 4:30 - 7:00 pm - Agenda - Minutes
- October 26, 2021 - 4:30 pm - Agenda - Email [email protected] to attend.
2020 Meeting Schedule - Subject to change
- January 15, 2020 - Annual Meeting
- March 18, 2020
- May 20, 2020
- Canceled due to COVID restrictions
- June 17, 2020
- August 19, 2020
- October 21, 2020
- December 16, 2020
- January 16, 2019 - Annual Board Meeting
- March 20, 2019
- April 17, 2019
- May 15, 2019
- July 17, 2019
- August 21, 2019
- September 18, 2019
- October 16, 2019
- LWYW Committee Cancelled
- November 20, 2019
- December 14, 2017
New Cultural Center (NCC)
In 2020 after consultation with its partners, CDHC convened a small group of stakeholders to address issues related to the New Cultural Center (NCC). CDHC’s goal was to keep the project on schedule and to work collaboratively so that the County Council would approve moving NCC funding from contingency in the Fall of 2020. The virtual workgroup meetings were open to the public.
The workgroup effort facilitated revisions to the original NCC funding proposal and the Administration’s pre-filing of legislation (TAO1-2021) in September 2020 to move the NCC funding from contingency. In early January 2021, the County Council on a 3-1-1 vote approved the funding with revisions to the project reflected in an MOU signed by the County Administration, the Commission, and Toby’s/CCTA (the land seller & future NCC lessee).
Council approval of the release of funding for the NCC is the lynchpin for moving forward with the first Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) development included in the affordable residential development plan for Downtown Columbia enacted by HR-52-2016 et. al and the Developer Rights and Responsibilities Agreement (DRRA) executed in accordance with that legislation. The housing and non-residential components of the redevelopment of the Toby’s site have been inextricably linked since inception. Without funding for the NCC, the housing component, now known as Artists Flats, could proceed and the Howard County Housing Commission would be at risk of losing substantial federal and state funds for this vitally needed affordable housing community.
Construction of NCC is anticipated to begin in 2022.
- Pat Sylvester, CDHC
- Jeryl Baker, CDHC
- Deb Jung, County Council
- David Yungman, County Council
- Sameer Sidh, County Administration
- Carl DeLorenzo, County Administration
- Peter Engel, Howard County Housing Commission
- Alastair Smith, Howard County Housing Commission
- Bob DeSantis, Orchard Development
- Greg Fitchitt, Howard Hughes Corporation
- Paul Casey, Housing Affordability Coalition
- Mary Kay Sigaty, Columbia Festival of the Arts
- Representatives of Toby’s and CCTA, various county agencies, and Council members Walsh, Jones, & Mercer-Rigby will also participate in the workgroup
- July 16, 2020 - 3-5 pm
- Presentation (revised 7/23/2020)
- Meeting Notes/Summary
- DTC Second Setaside
- July 30, 2020 - 3-5 pm via WebEx
- August 11, 2020 - 3-5 pm via WebEx
- October 1, 2020 - NCC Information Session
- The Howard County Housing Affordability Coalition hosted this virtual public meeting for Coalition supporters and community members interested in learning about the current plans for and status of legislation that will release County funding for the construction of this new culture and arts center.