Route 1 Tax Credit Program
The purpose of the Route 1 Tax Credit program is to encourage revitalization along the Route 1 corridor by helping owners renovate and improve the exterior appearance of their properties. The program creates a financial incentive for commercial and industrial property owners with frontage onto Route 1, or adjacent to a property with Route 1 frontage, through a property tax credit for renovation, rehabilitation and upgrades to their properties. Reauthorization was passed by the County Council in November 2020 which extends the Tax Credit Program through the taxable year ending June 30, 2026.
- Applies to improvements to both buildings and the land on properties with less than 15 acres
- Property must be adjacent to Route 1; next to a Route 1 parcel and visible from the roadway; or located within specified expanded boundaries in Elkridge, MD - see Elkridge boundary map 20.129D.
- Improvements must be visible from the roadway
Eligible improvements include:
- Exterior improvements to a building facade
- Exterior painting and cleaning
- Structural improvements to a building facade
- Structure mounted signage, canopies, shutters and awnings
- Screening of utility, trash or storage enclosures
- Enhanced exterior building lighting
- Replacement or enhancement of streetscape amenities (walkways, landscaping, bike racks, lighting, etc.)
- New construction that enhances the building or property
The property tax credit for eligible improvements is equivalent to 125% of verified expenses up to $100,000 and is awarded on a rolling basis. The tax credit is applied to the annual property tax. If the credit is greater than the real property tax for a single year, it can be carried over and applied to subsequent annual taxes for up to five years! The property owner benefits and so does the community where the improvements occur.
Below are the documents needed in the program. The first step is to complete the application below.
- Application for the Route 1 Tax Credit
- Maintenance Agreement for the Route 1 Tax Credit
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Route 1 Tax Credit
To discuss whether your planned improvements qualify, please contact Victoria Olivier at [email protected]