Pavilions, Fields, Facilities & More
Look at the amenities, features, and surrounding space before reserving for smoother planning. Park pavilions and meeting rooms are a great place to hold a birthday party, corporate event, large family gathering, school picnic, or other special occasion.
Howard County Recreation & Parks offers a diverse assortment of facilities available to rent -- everything from historical structures to a zero entry pool. We pride ourselves on keeping these venues in good condition and have made every effort to that the permitting process is as simple and quick as possible.
Facilities can be reserved up to one year in advance and many are in high demand. Requests are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis. While we make every effort to accommodate all requests, we must receive your signed and dated application and payment by the due date, or we will have to reject your reservation and give others the opportunity to reserve that date. Permit requests made less than two weeks from date of use must be made in person.
When you make your reservation, we will need to know:
- Which facility you wish to rent.
- Name, address and telephone number of responsible party.
- Name of party/group - either your last name or the name of the sponsoring business, organization or church, etc.
- Attendance - indicate the maximum number of people expected. Attendance cannot exceed the seating capacity of the venue.
Make checks or money orders payable to Howard County, Director of Finance. All fees are non-refundable.
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and will be held responsible for their guests at the planned event.
If at the time of your arrival, someone is using a facility you reserved, show them your receipt; if necessary, call Central Communications at 410-313-2929 to page the On-Call Supervisor. Be sure to have your receipt with you.
Currently closed through the 2021 season.
Status line/inclement weather: 410-313-7303
Cash or Credit Card (No checks):
2 or 4 seat paddle boat (fee per half hour): $15 for Howard County residents, $17 non-resident
Canoe, single or double kayak (fee per hour): $15 for Howard County residents, $17 non-resident
Fishing boat with trolling motor* (fee per half-day rental, 4 hours): $35 for Howard County residents, $37 non-resident
Additional $10 deposit and photo ID required for each boat. For example, if paying by cash, you must have the initial rental fee PLUS the $10 deposit per boat before renting. If paying by card, your card will be charged the initial rental fee and held as a deposit - your card WILL be charged if you forfeit your deposit for any reason. The primary renter's residential status will determine the rental fee.
Example for renting multiple boats: One person, a Howard County resident, is paying to rent three paddleboats. That person must provide a photo ID for the first boat, and two other individuals (16 yrs+) must provide their photo ID for each of the other two boats. All three fees will be at the County resident rate so long as the first individual is paying for the three rentals. If paying cash, you must have $30 in addition to the rental fee for the $10 deposit required for each boat).
* By law, boaters born on or after July 1,1972 must carry a National Association of State Boating Law Administrators-approved certificate of boating safety education when operating a motorized boat on Maryland waters. This includes operating a fishing boat with a trolling motor on Centennial Lake - the Adventure Shack & Rentals is not responsible for any fines resulting from a failure to comply. For information on how to obtain a Maryland Safe Boating Certificate, visit the Maryland Department of Natural Resources at dnr.maryland.gov/nrp/Pages/BoatingSafety/Safety_Certificate.aspx.
Rules & Regulations
- All park rules and regulations must be followed.
- Swimming is NOT allowed in the lake.
- Littering in the park or lake is not allowed and will result in immediate expulsion from the park.
- All boat renters must be 16 years or older and have a picture ID. A separate photo ID and deposit is required for each boat. The renter is responsible for loss or damage to equipment by anyone in his/her party. A person 16 years of age or older must be in the boat at all times.
- All boaters are required to wear a U.S.C.G. approved personal floatation device at all times.
- In the event of inclement weather, all boats must be returned to the boat dock area immediately. If a storm suddenly approaches, take the boat to the nearest shoreline, exit water and secure boat to land.
- Boats are limited to a maximum of two people in a two-person paddle boat, two people in a tandem kayak, three people in a canoe and four people in a four-person paddleboat.
- Unsafe conduct or inappropriate behavior anywhere in the park is prohibited.
- All boats must return back to dock area within 30 minutes of the posted closing time.
- All fishermen 16 years or older are required to have a valid Maryland Freshwater Fishing License, and to conform to all fishing regulations in regard to catching and returning fish in this lake.
- Feeding the wildlife is prohibited.
- No pets allowed on rental boats.
- Entering and exiting the boat is the passenger's responsibility.
- All boaters must be at least two years of age and must be able to sit in their own seat on the boat. No sitting on laps or in the middle of paddleboats.
- No standing on the boats; please remain in your seats. If you want to switch seats, come back to the rental dock.
- All boats are first-come, first-served. Groups must make prior arrangements by emailing [email protected] - allow at least two weeks notice.
Failure to follow these rules at all times will result in the loss of deposit. If paying by card, your card will be charged the additional $10 deposit if you forfeit the deposit for any reason.
Violation of applicable regulations or failure to obey a direct order from a Howard County Department of Recreation & Parks employee may result in termination of the boat rental agreement, forfeiture of deposit, loss of park privileges including expulsion from the park, and may be subject to criminal and civil penalties set forth in section 19.201 of the Howard County Code.
How to rent: Call 410-313-4626 or fill out the reservation request form.
Please submit the reservation request form to Jean Shea, [email protected].
Softball/baseball and multi-purpose fields (grass and artificial turf) are available by permit only. Preference is given to sports leagues and community groups. There are reservation, light and tournament fees.
How to rent: Call Caitlin Chamberlain at 410-313-0420 or [email protected].
Historic venues are places that are recognized for their importance in Howard County history. Through their association with an event, a person, a place, or the built heritage, historic sites provide a tangible link with the past. They are part of Howard County's heritage and contribute to define its identity.
How to rent: Call 410-313-1163
The Meadowbrook Athletic Complex, located just off Rt. 100 in Ellicott City, offers space for basketball, volleyball, badminton, jump rope, and more. Click here for more details.
Please contact the specific center in which you would like to rent a room. View a list on our Facilities page.
How to rent: Call 410-313-4682, 8am-4:30pm, M-F
Park pavilions are a great place to hold a birthday party, corporate event, large family gathering, school picnic or any other special occasion. Pavilions vary in size to accommodate any group, and many come equipped with cooking facilities.
The pavilion rental season runs from April 1-November 30, rain or shine (no refunds for inclement weather). No rentals on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Inflatables or amusements are not allowed.
Pavilions are available free on a first-come, first served basis from December-March. Pavilions that are not reserved during the rental season can be used on a first-come, first-served basis if you have a group of less than 20 people. However, restroom water and water fountains are turned off during winter months and grills may not be available or accessible during this time due to winter maintenance. Your rental may begin as early as 10am and must conclude by sunset (times subject to change).
You MUST leave the park by the designated time of sunset or be charged a late fee of $25 per ½ hour.
Reservations are accepted up to one year in advance (to the day) via phone and walk-in at Recreation and Parks Headquarters. Please be aware that some of our pavilions, particularly Pavilion D and H at Centennial Park are very popular. In the event that more than one customer is at headquarters simultaneously to reserve the same pavilion for the same date; a coin toss will take place to determine who will receive the rental. In order to give everyone a fair chance, we do not give precedence to previous or annual renters. Please come prepared with the expectation that you may not get the pavilion on the date that you want.
|Park Pavilion Name||Maximum Capacity||Resident Fee||Non-Resident Fee|
|Alpha Ridge Park Pavilion 1 & 2||60||$170||$205|
|Blandair Park West Pavilion||50||$170||$205|
|Cedar Lane Park East Pavilion||100||$355||$385|
|Cedar Lane Park West Pavilion||150||$440||$475|
|Centennial Park Pavilion A||40||$165||$200|
|Centennial Park Pavilion B||40||$165||$200|
|Centennial Park Pavilion C||40||$165||$200|
Centennial Park Pavilion D
Centennial Park Pavilion E
Centennial Park Pavilion F
|Centennial Park Pavilion G||40||$165||$200|
|Centennial Park Pavilion H||300||$990||$1,025|
|Centennial Park Pavilion O||60||$170||$205|
Guilford Park Pavilion
|Hammond Park Pavilion||60||$170||$205|
|High Ridge Park Pavilion||50||$300||$330|
|Meadowbrook Park Hawksview Pavilion||125||$385||$420|
|North Laurel Park Pavilion||100||$330||$365|
|Rockburn Branch Park Pavilion||90||$250||$280|
|Savage Park Pavilion||100||$365||$395|
|Waterloo Park Large Pavilion||60||$170||$205|
|Waterloo Park Small Pavilion||25||$145||
|Western Regional Park Pavilion||150||$385||$420|
Please contact the specific center you would like to rent, listed on our Facilities page.
See list of pavilions in drop-down above.
Adventure & Outdoors Custom Programs: Gather your scout group, school group, co-workers, teammates and we do the planning and leading. Specializing in birthday parties, campfires, fishing, target archery, paddling (canoe & kayak), rock climbing, river tubing, camping, biking and much more! Info: Matt Medicus 410-313-1769 or Dawn Thomas, 410-313-1754.
Friends and Family Adventures: Make your own mini-sized custom adventure by allowing us to design a unique program in a safe, intimate, small group environment. Info: Matt Medicus 410-313-1769 or Dawn Thomas, 410-313-1754.
Facilities' Packages (Contact Locations Directly)
Gary J. Arthur Community Center
2400 Route 97
Cooksville, MD 21723
North Laurel Community Center
9411 Whiskey Bottom Road
Laurel, MD 20723
Robinson Nature Center
6692 Cedar Lane
Columbia, MD 21044
Roger Carter Community Center
3000 Milltowne Drive
Ellicott City, MD 21043
3300 Norberts Way
Ellicott City, MD 21042
Belmont Manor & Historic Park
6555 Belmont Woods Road
Elkridge, MD 21075
Baltimore & Ohio Ellicott City Station Museum
3711 Maryland Avenue
Ellicott City, MD 21043
Patapsco Female Institute Historic Park
3655 Church Road
Ellicott City, MD 21043
2300 Waverly Mansion Drive
Marriottsville, MD 21104