There are typically multiple County-sponsored shredding events each year; in the Spring (in April) and Fall (in October). Think before you shred--residents are asked to ONLY bring items that contain personal information. Junk mail, catalogs and office paper can be recycled with your curbside recycling collection.
Shredding Dates for 2024
- Saturday, April 13 at GreenFest at Howard Community College (Lot A) from 10am - 2pm (or until trucks are full)
- Saturday, October 19th - Howard County Executive Calvin Ball's "The BIG Shred" event featuring not one, but four document shredding locations:
- Long Gate Park & Ride from 9am - 1pm (or until trucks are full)
- Elkridge Landing Middle School Overflow Parking Lot from 9am - 1pm (or until trucks are full)
- North Laurel Community Center from 9am - 1pm (or until trucks are full)
- Gary J. Arthur Community Center from 9am - 1pm (or until trucks are full)
County-sponsored Shredding Events
Residents may bring up to three bags or boxes of paper to be shredded.
Although these events will have hours, shredding will be available until trucks are full which may occur before designated ending times.
Don't shred unnecessarily. Only shred documents that include (account numbers, passwords, PINs, signatures, Social Security numbers, date of birth):
- Federal and State Tax documents
- Credit card and other household bills
- Medical records
- Pay stubs
- Mortgage documents
- Insurance bills
Be sure to review your items carefully and remove all items that do not fall into one of the categories listed above.
Please do not pack boxes or paper bags heavier than you can safely lift and carry to your vehicle without assistance.
Items Not Accepted
- File folders
- Manila folders
- Junk mail
- Event programs
- Coloring books
- Calendars, etc.
Know Before You Go
Please make sure that your boxes or paper bags are ALSO free of:
- Plastic or glass items
- Binder clips
- Scissors, etc.
Remember! Although these events will have hours, shredding will be available until trucks are full which may occur before designated ending times.
Can't wait for a shredding event?
Office Depot and Staples offer shredding services for a small fee. This is a convenient option for many residents to get those sensitive documents shredded securely. Also keep your eyes out for community and bank sponsored events which happen throughout the year.
If you shred at home, please be sure to place shredded paper in a paper bag (no plastic) before you add it to your recycling bin. Why? Loose shredded paper is like confetti and will make a mess at the recycling processor.