Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for HIV prevention is a once-daily pill that, when taken as prescribed, is 99% effective at preventing HIV. PrEP is available at the Howard County Health Department through the Reproductive Health Clinic.
A PrEP Navigator dedicated to the PrEP program supports clients with their medical needs in the clinic and with social needs outside of the clinic, such as housing, transportation, health insurance, and employment. New clients return to the clinic one month after starting the medication, two months after that, and then every three months to perform STI testing and risk reduction counseling. The program is open to anybody who is interested (regardless of residency, immigration, or insurance status) and most patients get the medication at no cost to them through our case management services.
Call 410-313-7500 (Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm) to schedule an appointment or ask to speak to the PrEP Navigator. You can also contact PrEP Navigator Lynn Phan directly via text message at 240-743-9898.
- Additional information and resources, especially for PrEP in Maryland: PrEPMaryland.org
- Locate PrEP providers anywhere in the US: PrEPLocator.org
- CDC PrEP Information
- PrEP Payment Assistance Flowchart (MDH)
- PFLAG HoCo: Supportive community for LGBTQI+ individials and their friends/family
- Chase Brexton Columbia: Healthcare provider that offers sliding scale primary care, dental, behavioral health services and specializes in LGBTQ health.
- Health Department Condom Distribution Program