Howard County Boards and Commissions play an important role in fostering citizen involvement in our government. County Boards or Commissions cover a wide variety of topics ranging from the environment, fire and rescue services and cable, just to name a few. Board or Commission members advise various County personnel on specific matters for which they are an expert. In some instances, Board or Commission members recommend or comment on legislation, budget items or other important policy changes. Also see the County Council Boards and Commissions further down the page.
Interested applicants should email Paul Thompson at [email protected], and include the name of the board and commission in the subject line.
Applicants should include their home address and contact information in the body of the email and attach a current resume and brief letter explaining why they want to serve on the board and what qualifications they may meet. Applicants are asked not to include their contact information, i.e., home address, phone number(s) and email address, in their resume and letter of interest.
The names of eligible applicants will be submitted to the County Executive for consideration. If selected, the appointment will be forwarded to the County Council for their review and confirmation.
A requirement to Apply to Serve on a board or commission is including your redacted resume and cover letter. Personal information collected throughout the application process is used for internal verification purposes only. However, the redacted resume and letter of interest may be made public through the County Council process.
Therefore, the following instructions help us protect your privacy and expedite the process:
- Should include: your name, relevant experience
- Should not include: home address, phone number(s), email
- You may choose to include or exclude specific details such as cities or sales numbers at your discretion.
Letter of Interest
- Brief letter explaining why you want to serve and how you see yourself contributing.
- Please indicate which qualification you may meet.
If you have questions or concerns regarding these instructions, please email [email protected]. Our team is happy to assist you.
Citizens who commit to serving three year terms as a volunteer on a board or commission play a vital role in ensuring diverse lived experiences and expertise remain a central component of Howard County government operations.
Each board and commission has different and specific functions. However, all board members and commissioners are responsible for attending meetings (ranging from biweekly to bimonthly) and fulfilling the purpose and duties as outlined in the County Code.
Responsibilities can include proposing recommendations to the County Executive and County Council, improving the effectiveness and efficiency of county processes, and ensuring Howard County remains the best place to live, work, and play. Some responsibilities even include key funding decisions that require a Financial Disclosure Statement to ensure fairness.
Please learn more about each board and commission by exploring their webpages linked below. People who are high school-aged and older are all welcome to serve.
Government Boards & Commissions
- Administrative Charging Committee
- Adult Public Guardianship Review Board
- Agricultural Preservation Board
- Animal Matters Hearing Board
- Asian American Pacific Islander Commission
- Board of Elections
- Board of Electrical Examiners
- Board of Health
- Board of Library Trustees
- Board to Promote Self Sufficiency
- Cable Advisory Committee
- Cemetery Preservation Advisory Board
- Citizens’ Election Fund Commission
- Coalition to End Homelessness Board
- Commission on Aging
- Commission on Disabilities
- Commission for Transitioning Students With Disabilities
- Commission for Veterans & Military Families
- Commission for Women
- Advisory Board on Consumer Protection
- Design Advisory Panel
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday Commission
- Economic Development Authority Board of Directors
- Environmental Sustainability Board
- Equal Business Opportunity Commission
- Ethics Commission
- Historic Preservation Commission
- Housing & Community Development Board
- Human Rights Commission
- Human Trafficking Prevention Coordination Council
- Internal Affairs Hearing Board
- La Alianza Latina Commission
- LGBTQIA+ Commission
- Local Behavioral Health Advisory Board
- Local Children’s Board
- Multimodal Transportation Board
- Opioid Collaborative Community Council
- Pension Oversight Commission
- Personnel Board
- Planning Board
- Plumbing Advisory Board
- Police Accountability Board
- Property Tax Assessment Appeals Board
- Public Facilities & Spaces Commission
- Public Spaces Commission
- Public Works Board
- Recreation & Parks Advisory Board
- Revenue Authority
- Soil Conservation District
- Workforce Development Board
County Council Boards
For more information on Council Boards and Commissions, call 410-313-2395.
Other Groups, Councils, & Workgroups
- Bicycle Advisory Group
- Citizens Advisory Council
- Early Childhood Advisory Council
- Harriet Tubman Advisory Council
- Housing Opportunities Trust Fund Advisory Committee
- Howard County Domestic Violence Fatality Review Team
- Howard County Early Childhood Advisory Council
- Retirement Plan Committee
- Spending Affordability Advisory Committee
- Youth Advisory Council