Complete Streets Design Manual Updates
What is the Design Manual?
The Design Manual is a technical document that guides the design of Howard County streets. It is being updated and incorporates best practices and Complete Streets concepts.
What is “Complete Streets”?
Two years ago, Howard County Council adopted a Complete Streets policy to ensure that Howard County roads are designed to accommodate “residents of all ages and abilities who travel by foot, bicycle, public transportation or automobile.” It is a nationwide movement to balance the needs of different modes and prioritize safety over speed. For details, visit https://www.howardcountymd.gov/complete-streets.
How can I learn about the updates?
The Howard County Complete Streets Implementation Team is completing a draft version of the updated Complete Streets Design Manual. THE DRAFT UPDATE WILL BE POSTED HERE IN EARLY OCTOBER for review and comment by the public. Two different workshops will be held to review the updates as well. Both workshops will be recorded and posted online for those who cannot attend. PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR QUESTIONS FOR THE WORKSHOPS HERE.
Workshop 1: Introduction to the County Complete Streets Design Manual
- Who is the workshop for: The general public to understand about how Howard County Complete Streets policy translates into the design of future roads for cars, transit, bicycles, pedestrians, and others.
- When: Thursday, October 14, 7 pm - 8 pm (virtual). Includes time for Q&A.
- Link to the workshop: To pre-register (or simply to attend that evening) via Webex, click here or watch via Facebook Live here
Workshop 2: Technical Overview to the County Complete Streets Design Manual
- Who is the workshop for: Technical professionals and others who use the Design Manual on a regular basis (however, the general public is welcome to attend).
- Review ahead of time: ATTENDEES SHOULD REVIEW THE TECHNICAL MATERIAL THAT WILL BE POSTED HERE IN MID OCTOBER IN ADVANCE OF THE WORKSHOP.
- When: Thursday, October 21, 2 pm (virtual). Includes time for Q&A.
- Link to the workshop: To pre-register (or simply to attend that day) via Webex, click here
How can I comment on the updated Design Manual?
Comments from the public on the Design Manual updates will be collected via an online survey to be posted here in October.
Where can I find the existing Design Manual?
Sign Up and Questions
To sign up to receive notices about upcoming public meetings and events related to County transportation projects, including all Complete Streets and Design Manual update initiatives, please click here.
Further questions can be directed to: [email protected].