The Howard County Commission for Transitioning Students with Disabilities was established by statute in September 2016 to advise the county government in establishing an effective, efficient, and comprehensive delivery of services that will most successfully meet the transition needs of Howard County students with disabilities as they transition from high school to postsecondary education, employment, and adult life.
The Commission envisions a community that values each student’s abilities and provides diverse college, career, and community opportunities that lead to individual success. The Commission promotes opportunities for students and young adults with disabilities to exercise self-determination, and to be independent, productive, integrated, and included members of the community.
The Commission will:
- Advocate for policy on behalf of students with developmental, intellectual, and/or physical disabilities;
- Examine current practices and make recommendations on ways to improve postsecondary outcomes for students with disabilities;
- Make recommendations that would facilitate successful customized employment and postsecondary education for students exiting the Howard County Public School System;
- Foster greater collaboration between the business, academic, non-profit, and public sectors to engage in successful initiatives designed to immerse students with disabilities in a work environment and provide important job skills.
2022 Howard County Transition Symposium Webinar Series
The 2022 Howard County Transition Symposium webinar series will be held monthly from February 17 to May 24, 2022. Offerd virtually via Zoom, the series is for transitioning youth ages 14-21 with IEP/504 plans, as well as their families and professionals! FREE, register now at https://app.donorview.com/3P7l3
For information or to request accommodations, contact Erica Lewis, ADA Specialist, at [email protected] or call 410-313-6402 (voice/relay).
Commission meetings are generally held the second Thursday of the month in January, March, May, September, and November, from 8:30 to 10:30 am at the Roger Carter Community Center, 3000 Milltowne Drive, Ellicott City, MD 21042. Due to current Covid-19 restrictions, all meetings are being held virtually via Webex.
2022 Meeting Dates
March 10, 2022 – 8:30 to 10:30 a.m.
- Join meeting
- To join by phone: 1-650-479-3207 Call-in toll number.
- Use Meeting number: 2318 937 6733 and Password: TJcheBHP752
NOTE: To request accommodations to participate in these meetings, contact the Department of Community Resources and Services at 410-313-6400 (Voice/Relay) at least seven (7) days in advance.
Meeting time and location is subject to change. Please call the Department of Community Resources and Services at 410-313-6400 (Voice/Relay) to verify.
All meetings of Howard County boards and commissions are open to the public, except under those circumstances in which a closed meeting is permitted by law.
The co-chairs of the Commission are Elizabeth Benevides (parent) and Dawson Robertson (transition facilitator, Howard County Public Schools). The Commission reports to the Howard County Office of Children and Families.
- Alexandra Berry, Student
- Elizabeth Benevides, parent
- Naysha Conway, Humanim
- Patrick Boxall, parent
- Katie Collins-Ihrke, Accessible Resources for Independence
- Chris Glover, Race Pace Bicycles, business member
- Colette Jackson, parent
- Kathy Land, Service Coordination
- Mary Manzoni, Humanim
- Cindy Parr, Arc of Howard County
- Program head, transition services
- Instructional facilitator, secondary education
- Coordinator, career and technology education
- Cxecutive director, special education and student services
- Parent coordinator, Family Support and Resource Center
- Coordinator, school counseling services
- Manager, teacher recruitment and retention
Howard County Government
- Director, Department of Community Resources and Services
- ADA coordinator, Department of Community Resources and Services
- Administrator, Office of Human Resources
- Administrator, Office of Workforce Development
- Administrator, Office of Human Rights
- Administrator, Office of Children and Families
- Representative, continuing education, HCC
- Manager, therapeutic recreation, Department of Recreation and Parks
- Child and adolescent coordinator, Mental Health Authority
- Administrator, Division of Rehabilitative Services (DORS)
- Regional director, DDA / DHMH