The Water Reuse Division is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the County’s reclaimed water system. Reclaimed water is wastewater that is treated to remove pollutants and pathogens that are potentially harmful to the environment or human health. Reclaimed water can be used in a variety of ways for purposes that typically do not require drinking water quality. For example, irrigation, dust control, washing aggregate, making concrete and cooling tower make-up water.
The use of reclaimed water for non-potable uses has many benefits:
• It conserves drinking water
• It provides an less expensive water source
• It Ensures a more reliable water supply, especially during droughts
• It decreases the diversion of water from ground and waterways
• It decreases wastewater discharges to waterways