Howard County provides trash and recycling services to the residents and businesses of the Historic Ellicott City District.
Trash: Monday, Thursday, Saturday
Recycling: Tuesday, Friday
- Trash must be placed out at the curb by 5am on collection day.
- Up to four (4) cans, bags or bundles will be accepted. Each item must weigh less than 40 pounds. Residents must purchase cans (County does not provide trash containers).
- Reusable containers must be made of metal or tough plastic, equipped with handles and watertight, well-fitting lids. County-provided recycling (blue) containers cannot be used.
- If the container is larger than 40 gallons, each bag inside is counted as one item.
- Disposable trash bags must be heavy gauge plastic that can be picked up and carried without tearing. Securely tie the top to prevent spillage.
- The clean-up of trash or recycling that is spilled and/or spread by animals or wind is the responsibility of the residents.
- Residents putting out items for donation (Purple Heart, Freecycle, etc.) should be sure to clearly mark those items and keep them close to the house to avoid accidental colleciton.
- Car parts (tires, wheels, batteries, etc.)
- Construction debris (concrete, drywall, lumber, carpet/rug, fencing, cabinets, appliances, etc.)
- Sinks and toilets
- Containers larger than 40-gallon containing loose trash will not be serviced.
- Electronics including laptops, computer monitors, TVs, motorized toys, chairs with electric plugs, etc.
- Hazardous, toxic or flammable materials: asbestos, ammunition, explosives, compressed gas tanks, dead animals, firearms, medical waste, etc.
- Landscape debris (dirt, rocks, stumps, sod, etc.)
- Liquids (paint, cooking oil, chemicals, motor oil, etc.) Other liquids are prohibited.
- Mirrors/plate glass
- Paint cans (unless completely empty or dried with the lid off)
- Rechargeable batteries
- Use a County-provided blue recycling cart, bin or paper bag (do not use plastic bags for recyclables). Other reusable containers may be used as long as they are not also used as trash cans.
- Residents putting out items for donation (Purple Heart, Freecycle, etc.) should be sure to clearly mark those items and keep them close to the house to avoid accidental collection.
- After your items are collected, we recommend removing empty trash cans and recycling carts or bins from your curb (or grouping area) on your scheduled collection day to mitigate safety and aesthetic concerns.
- Paper-- newspaper, office paper, junk mail, milk & egg cartons
- Plastic-- bottles, tubs, jugs, jars, trays, #5 plastics & large plastic items (playhouses, laundry baskets, etc.)
- Metal cans-- aluminum, steel cans and EMPTY aerosol cans
- Glass-- any color bottles or jars
- Cardboard-- clean and flattened (remove plastic liners, waxed paper and Styrofoam packaging material)
- Acrylic plastic
- Disposable "single-use" cups, plates, bowls, utensils (paper or plastic)
- Food stained cardboard or paper
- Napkins, paper towels, tissues, thermal paper receipts
- Plastic bags or plastic-bagged material*
- Plastic clamshell containers and packaging
- Plastic film, wrap, bubble wrap, or air bags*
- "Tanglers"-- hangers, wires, hoses, cords
- Textiles or clothing*
- Window glass, ceramics, mirrors
*Visit our Know Before You Throw page to learn how to recycle these materials.
Trash & Recycling Dumpsters
Residents and Businesses within this historic boundary receive curbside collection multiple times per week. Trash and Recycling dumpster may also be used. Flatten cardboard boxes and do not leave items on the ground next to a dumpster.
Trash Dumpster Collection: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
Recycling Dumpster Collection: Monday, Thursday, Saturday
These trash and recycling cans are for pedestrian use only. Residents and businesses of Historic Ellicott City may use provided dumpsters and County-provided recycling carts.
Yes! We can provide recycling carts for residents and businesses within this boundary. Please contact us for more information.
For hard-to-recycle items like mattresses, electronics, plastic bags, etc. please visit our Know Before You Throw page for recycling and disposal assistance.
For any illegal dumping complaints, please complete the form below.