Explore 50+ Centers
Howard County has six 50+ Centers spread across different parts of the County (see list below). The types of programming offered at the 50+ Centers includes:
- Exercise and fitness classes
- Educational opportunities
- Social and recreational activities
- Volunteer opportunities
- Congregate meals (lunch)
- Kindred Spirits Social Club (for people with early stage memory loss)
The Department of Community Resources & Services will be following county guidance and will be lifting the mask mandate in our 50+ centers and for our programs and events. All patrons are welcome to wear a mask if they choose to do so.
To reach the 50+ Centers Central Line, call 410-313-5400 (voice/relay).
The Department of Community Resources and Services (DCRS) facilities, including 50+ Centers, the Loan Closet, Patuxent Woods offices, and the Multiservice Center, will make all reasonable attempts to open on time in the event of inclement weather.
Call the DCRS Inclement Weather Line at 410-313-7777 (voice/relay) to learn of any delayed openings or closings. Additional Inclement Weather Updates can be found at www.howardcountymd.gov/DCRS or www.Facebook.com/HoCoCommunity.
50+ Centers co-located with Recreation and Park Facilities at Gary J. Arthur and North Laurel Community Center will follow Recreation and Parks operating procedures as it relates to inclement weather:
If Howard County Public Schools are delayed or closed, Glenwood 50+ Center and North Laurel 50+ Center operating procedures is as follows:
- 1-hour school delay – will strive to open at 9:30am.
- 2-hour school delay – will strive to open at 10:30am. All classes and programs scheduled before 11am are canceled. No congregate meals are served.
- Schools closed –will strive to open by 10:30am. All classes and programs are canceled. No congregate meals are served.
If Howard County Public Schools are delayed or closed, DCRS classes and programs status is as follows:
- 1-hour school delay – DCRS facilities will open on time.
- 2-hour school delay – DCRS facilities will open on time. All classes and programs scheduled before 11am are canceled. Connections Program is canceled. No congregate meals are served.
- Schools closed – DCRS facilities will strive to open on time. All classes and programs are canceled. Connections Social Day Program is canceled. No congregate meals are served.
If Howard County Public Schools cancel evening and weekend activities:
DCRS facilities will be closed for evening hours and classes canceled after 4:30pm.
For weekend activities, DCRS facilities will strive to open at 10:30am. All classes and programs are canceled.
Should weather conditions deteriorate, please call or check the operating status before going to the DCRS facility. All DCRS facilities are closed when Howard County Government is closed.
Membership in the 50+ Centers is free, but registration is required. A single registration is good for all Centers. To register:
- Visit a Center near you
- Download a registration packet below
OAI provides a variety of nutrition programs for individuals age 60+ and their spouses of any age. Voluntary, anonymous contributions are requested but not required for those age 60+. Individuals under age 60 may purchase a meal at its full cost. Meals are designed by a registered dietitian.
- Grab & Go
- Congregate Meals
- Home Delivered Meals
50+ Fitness Centers
The Office on Aging and Independence and its 50+ Centers operate three locations for older adults only at the Bain, Elkridge and Ellicott City 50+ Centers. Recreation and Parks manages the fitness centers at the Gary J. Arthur, North Laurel and Roger Carter Community Centers.
For those who prefer to maintain their optimal health and wellness without leaving the comfort of home, the Howard County Office on Aging & Independence will continue to offer virtual programs and virtual fitness pass classes in addition to in-person options to engage, inspire and motivate you. Check out the quarterly issues of the 50+ Center newsletters for a list of current virtual programs, and view the Virtual Fitness Class schedule, below.