Monday - Saturday, 8 am to 4:00 pm (residential)
Monday - Saturday, 8 am to 3:30 pm (commercial)
Sundays - Closed
The address is 2350 Marriottsville Road, Marriottsville, MD 21104. From Route 29 north, take Interstate 70 west to exit 83. Keep right onto Marriottsville Road, the entrance will be on the left.
Alpha Ridge Landfill accepts both residential and commercial waste, including recyclables, generated in Howard County ONLY. There are many signs located throughout the landfill and Residents' Convenience Center that tell you where to place materials. Please don't hesitate to ask one of our landfill staff members.
Howard County residents may dispose of household trash, household hazardous waste (Saturdays ONLY, April-November) and unlimited recyclable materials. Residents using the landfill are required to show their driver's licenses as proof of residence each time they enter the landfill. The new Maryland Driver's Licenses no longer indicate the county of residence and staff may need to use an address checker to confirm residency.
Residents may be required to apply for a Special Exception Permit if they are:
(1) using vehicles that exceed 3/4 ton capacity, or
(2) using commercially marked vehicles, or
(3) using rental vehicles, or
(4) disposing of unusually large quantities of household trash
Residents disposing of construction, demolition and home improvement waste will be charged the commercial tip fee ($4 per 100 pounds or $80/ton); items include carpet, treated lumber, drywall etc. Fees will be charged for deliveries mixed with household waste.
All commercial vehicles delivering solid waste to the landfill are required to purchase a nontransferable commercial landfill permit at an annual charge; no commercial vehicles will be permitted to use the landfill without a permit. All permits are valid for the period from July 1st through June 30th.
Since July 2017, businesses no longer need a free permit to drop-off recycling. Small businesses may only bring material that was generated within Howard County.
NOTE: As of July 1, 2015 the Commercial Solid Waste tip fee will be $80 per ton.
What you may NOT bring or dispose of at the Landfill.
Details about the Alpha Ridge Landfill Gas to Energy project.
Effective July 1, 2018, the Howard County Alpha Ridge Landfill will implement the rate structure below. These rates are pursuant to Howard County Council Resolution No. 56 adopted on May 31, 2018 and are subject to change.
NOTE: No solid waste generated out-of-County will be accepted at the Howard County Alpha Ridge Landfill.
** Printable FY19 Alpha Ridge Landfill Fees **
NOTE: Residents disposing of construction, demolition and home improvement material (C&D waste) will be directed to weigh in at the scalehouse and will be charged $80/ton ($4.00 per 100 pounds) of waste. This includes deliveries mixed with household waste.
NOTE: A maximum of four (4) auto tires may be delivered to the Residents' Convenience Area by residents at no charge. Farm vehicles are also limited to four (4) auto tires. Deliveries of greater than 4 tires will be charged the per ton commercial user charge.
Take a few minutes to SORT your waste. Much of the household waste can be recycled or reused by placing it in one of the many recycling containers or trailers at the Center.
Representatives from the American Legion Adams, Hanna, Moore Memorial Post 156, will retrieve flags and make sure they are disposed of in a dignified fashion as required by the U.S. Flag Code. Ceremonies will be conducted in coordination with local Scout troops.
Uncontaminated antifreeze only (not mixed with oil or other substances). Please leave container for attendant to empty. DO NOT EMPTY YOURSELF.
Did you know? Each year thousands of dogs and cats are poisoned by improperly discarded or leaking antifreeze? The sweet taste attracts pets.
Air conditioners and refrigerators contain Freon and must be placed in a designated area. Small metal appliances, such as toasters, toaster ovens, mixers, etc, and other appliances, such as dishwashers, ovens and microwaves can be placed in the scrap metal dumpster for recycling.
Acceptable batteries include auto, boat and motorcycle, GM and Gel Cell, commonly found in ATVs and kid's powered vehicles.
Rechargeable batteries - see Household Hazardous Waste below. Visit the Battery webpage for more information.
Bring you reusable bicycles to Alpha Ridge and give those bikes another life! Look for the Reusable Bicycle shed (please no tricycles or motorized bikes). Bikes are collected with help from the Glenwood Lions Club who donates them to Bikes for the World. Bikes for the World fixes and sends them to places in need such as Africa, Ghana and Costa Rica. You can also check out Velocipede, located in Baltimore. If your bike isn't in good condition, contact your local bike store to see if they can use the parts or as a last resort, recycle it with scrap metal at Alpha Ridge Landfill.
The Loading Dock, a nonprofit organization collects new and reusable building materials for revitalizing low-income housing projects.
Items Accepted: Banisters, bathtubs, cabinets, countertops, doors, hardware, lighting fixtures, lumber, molding, plumbing fixtures, shelving, stairs, toilets, windows and other building materials. Please donate reusable materials only. For a tax receipt, please bring material the 1st Saturday of each month 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
NOTE: The materials that are collected are for REUSE. Howard County and the Loading Dock reserve the right to refuse any materials deemed unfit. If you have any questions about what is acceptable, please call THE LOADING DOCK at (410) 558-3625.
Items Accepted: Moving boxes, appliance boxes, storage boxes, and shipping boxes, etc. Please flatten.
Items Not Accepted: Pizza boxes (with grease) or waxed cardboard.
Carpet is no longer accepted for recycling at the Convenience Area. Carpet is considered trash and will be charged $80 per ton for disposal.
Artificial: Undecorated artificial trees and wreaths can be recycled in the scrap metal container at the Convenience Area year-round.
Live: Undecorated live Christmas trees, wreaths and garland can be recycled at the Alpha Ridge Landfill Woodwaste area or curbside with your yard trim from December 25 through the third week in January.
Items Accepted: Clothing, curtains/drapes, sheets, blankets, towels, tablecloths, handbags, hats, belts, and paired shoes and socks. Must be clean and dry. Have items that aren't wearable? Donate them! Many donation organizations partner with rag manufacturers.
Fire extinguishers, propane, helium, & oxygen tanks are accepted. Also consider returning tanks to the seller.
Residents disposing of construction, demolition and home improvement material (C&D waste) will be directed to weigh in at the scalehouse and will be charged $80/ton ($4 per 100 pounds) of waste. This includes deliveries mixed with household waste. For additional reuse and recycling options, please visit the Construction & Demolition Debris webpage.
Any type of liquid vegetable oil (peanut, corn, canola, olive etc.) is accepted. Please make sure that the cooking oil is not mixed with other fluids (water, petroleum products, soaps, etc.). Place the cooking oil in a container with a tight-fitting lid, metal or plastic containers are preferred. Vegetable oil that is mixed with small amounts of animal fats can be recycled as long as the amount of added animal fat has not caused the liquid to solidify. Visit the Used Cooking Oil webpage for more information.
Items Accepted: Computer monitors, CPUs, televisions, mice, keyboards, computer wires/cords/cables, cell phones, printers, small electronic appliances, laptops, scanners; miscellaneous circuit boards, chips, and cards, radios, VCRs, and other computer and electronic related accessories. Businesses may apply for a permit and bring a max of 10 electronics per day (2 CRT devices). Visit the Electronics webpage for more information.
Residents can drop-off food scraps for composting at the Alpha Ridge Landfill Composting Facility. Learn more about what is accepted and how the composting process works.
A Goodwill truck will be at the landfill on Mondays and the 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month from 9am to 3:30pm by the gazebo. Donate used clothes, toys, housewares and small appliances to keep those good items out of the trash. Note: Furniture will be accepted on limited basis and at the discretion of the Goodwill attendant. It's best to take furniture to one of their stores for donation. Visit Goodwill.org for more information.
HHW material is collected only on SATURDAYS ONLY from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm from April through November. Visit the Household Hazardous Waste webpage for more information.
Items Accepted: Mattresses and box springs of all sizes. Please load vertically in trailer. No wet mattresses due to mold possibilities.
Items Accepted: Appliances, furnaces, air conditioners*, auto parts, bicycles, swing sets, mowers, window frames, copper piping, brass fixtures, aluminum siding, tire chains, light fixtures, microwaves, refrigerators*, sheet metal, tire rims, fencing, cable. NOTE: Drain motors of oil and fuel.
*Please place refrigerators and air conditioners in designated area, not in scrap metal container.
Items Accepted: Motor oil, oil filters and hydraulic oils (brake, transmission or power steering).
Don't just shuck 'em and chuck 'em. Bring your empty oyster and clam shells to Alpha Ridge Landfill for reuse. Shells will be picked up by the Oyster Recovery Partnership and taken to the Horn Point Laboratory Oyster Hatchery where they will be cleaned and reseeded with oyster larvae before being reintroduced into the Bay. Shells can also be taken to the Robinson Nature Center.
Paint is accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste Area from April-November on Saturdays only. Solidified paint of any kind may be disposed with your household trash.
Did You Know? Paint can be solidified in the can at home by adding an absorbent material such as cat litter, shredded newspaper, leaves, sawdust or dirt. Or, if there isn't much paint left in the can, leave the lid off to air dry the paint. Once solidified, the paint can be disposed with your normal household trash, but remember the 40 pound limit for trash containers.
The following items can be mixed together in the blue recycling compactors. Items must be empty. Lids, caps and labels can stay on containers. Visit Recycling Collection Details for what is accepted.
Visit the Rigid Plastics webpage for a list of accepted items.
Recycling drop-off of shingles at ARL is no longer available. The charge for asphalt shingle disposal is the commercial tip fee of $80 per ton.
Items Accepted: White foam packaging, clean cups, trays, food containers and egg cartons (all colors). Items must be marked with the number “6” in the recycling symbol. Foam items that have been in contact with food or drinks should be rinsed. More Details
Items Not Accepted: Foam packing peanuts (accepted at many retail shipping centers); straws, lids, tape or stickers; foam insulation materials; clamshell or non-foam #6 containers.
Items Accepted: Automobile and truck tires only. (Commercial haulers see Landfill Fee Schedule)
Items Not Accepted: Tires on rims, tires over 4' in diameter or over 15" in width.
NOTE: Rims can be recycled in the scrap metal container. Limit of 4 tires per year.
Howard County residents may dispose of unlimited quantities of household trash with a valid driver license. Residents disposing of unusually large quantities of household trash using a greater than 3/4 ton vehicle, or disposing of waste for someone else, may be required to obtain a Special Exception Permit.
Residents disposing of construction, demolition and home improvement waste will be charged the commercial tip fee ($65/ton). This includes deliveries mixed with household waste.
Items Accepted: Upholstered furniture, non-recyclable paper, heavy metal cable, pizza boxes, broken toys.
Items Not Accepted: Recyclable materials such as rechargeable batteries, bottles, cans, paper, cardboard, Styrofoam, yard trim, reusable building supplies, etc.
We now accept vinyl building materials for recycling. Look for the roll-off near the Loading Dock trailer in the Residents' Convenience Area. Acceptable items include: vinyl siding, j-channels, soffit, fencing and cellular PVC. Here is a handy chart of what is accepted.
Items Accepted: Brush, small tree branches, pine cones, grass, leaves, untreated construction lumber (no nails), pallets, crates and Christmas trees.
A landfill employee will direct residents to the Wood Waste Area. Items must be debagged unless yard trim is contained in paper bags. Compost, topsoil and mulch is also available for purchase.
Treated wood/lumber and railroad ties should be taken to the Alpha Ridge Landfill and will be considered Construction & Demolition Debris. Residents disposing of construction, demolition and home improvement material as trash will be directed to weigh in at the scalehouse and will be charged $80/ton ($4 per 100 pounds) of waste.
A Goodwill truck will be at the landfill on Mondays and the 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month from 9am to 3:30pm. Donate used clothes, toys, housewares and small appliances to keep those good items out of the trash. Note: Furniture will be accepted on limited basis and at the discretion of the Goodwill attendant. It's best to take furniture to one of their stores for donation. Visit Goodwill.org for more information.
Alpha Ridge Landfill is Howard County's third public landfill, and the only public landfill open to accept waste. Alpha Ridge landfill was opened in 1980, and is located on a 550 acre site, of which 190 acres is permitted for landfilling.
Although all household trash collected from Howard County homes is currently being exported to a private landfill located in King George County, Virginia, residential and commercial trash is still being accepted at Alpha Ridge Landfill. A small portion of Howard County trash continues to be buried at the Alpha Ridge Landfill.
The specimen oak at Alpha Ridge Landfill located near the landfill’s cow barn succumbed to age, rot, bugs and weather with its last branches collapsing in September 2016. The tree, about 100 years old when it was acquired with the landfill property in 1979 stood watch over the area just north of I-70. After reviewing its condition with the Bureau of Highway's tree crew, after the storm, there was nothing alive left to salvage. Jeff Dannis, Chief of the Operations Division reported, “It had been rotting from the inside for years. Finally the exterior ring could no longer support the two remaining branches, and they dropped to the ground tearing at what remained of the trunk.” The tree remains will be removed and the remaining wood assessed for specialty lumber. Rotted and insect ridden material will be composted on site. “It’s a shame,” said Dannis, “long-term planning for the site had planned for the tree’s continued watch over the site.” There are no intermediate plans for the crest where the tree stood.
** Printable Landfill Usage Rules **
1. All commercial vehicles delivering solid waste to the Howard County Sanitary Landfill are required to purchase a nontransferable commercial landfill permit at an annual charge; no commercial vehicles will be permitted to use the landfill facilities without a permit. All permits are valid for the period July 1st through June 30. All permitted commercial vehicles are required to display their permit on the driver's side of the vehicle, so that the permit may be easily read by Howard County landfill personnel when the vehicle approaches truck scales at the landfill. Commercial permits may be purchased at the landfill.
2. Howard County residents disposing of household trash are required to show a valid driver's license, with their Howard County address, as proof that they are Howard County residents.
3. Tractor trailers are not allowed in the transfer station.
4. Howard County residents disposing of construction debris or mixed loads of construction debris and other waste will be charged at the commercial solid waste rate or appropriate waste rate, whichever is higher, as this material is not personal residential household waste; these vehicles must be weighed before and after disposal. Only personal residential household waste is exempt from payment of tipping fees.
5. The following types of refuse will not be accepted for disposal in the landfill or transfer station: hot ashes, poisons, acids, caustics, explosives, chemical waste, petroleum, pathological, infectious and surgical hospital waste; radiological or radioactive waste; controlled hazardous substances, liquid waste, septic waste, dead animals, liquid paint, detergents (bulk), automobiles or engine blocks (over 2'). Any questions concerning disposal of specific waste types, shall be directed to the Landfill Superintendent.
6. Barrels, drums, and 5-gallon or greater cans will be accepted if unused (or washed), and tops/ bottoms are removed and flattened. Drums previously holding hazardous waste must be emptied in accordance with COMAR 26.13.02.07.
7. Residents are limited to 4 tires per visit. Commercial customers hauling tires must have a valid Maryland Scrap Tire Hauler License. No motor vehicle tires will be accepted at the designated tire drop-off location if they are mounted on rims, over 4' in diameter, or are over 15" wide.
8. Firearms at the landfill are prohibited at all times.
9. Cardboard is not to be disposed as trash at the landfill.
10. Howard County residents disposing of large quantities of household waste or using vehicles larger than 3/4 ton capacity will be subject to an evaluation process and may be granted a “Special Exception” to dispose of waste without charge up to 2 tons per fiscal year.
11. Residential Household Hazardous Waste shall be left at the designated acceptance facility only during posted operating hours for that facility. No commercial hazardous waste is accepted at the landfill or transfer station.
12. Any vehicle arriving at the landfill after the closing time will not be admitted. Commercial vehicles remaining within the landfill after 4 p.m. will be charged $100.00 per 30 minutes or fraction thereof.
13. All commercial vehicles are to be weighed on the landfill scales, before and after disposal of any refuse.
14. All vehicles transporting refuse are to keep the refuse in their vehicles suitably covered or enclosed at all times to prevent littering of streets and highways. Refuse shall not protrude from the sides of any vehicle body. All vehicles entering the landfill are responsible for the removal of refuse dropped by their vehicles while en route to the assigned disposal area. Tarps shall be removed in designated areas only.
15. All vehicles are to observe and obey posted speed limits, direction signs, and other posted notices.
16. All landfill users must adhere to all posted and verbal instructions given by landfill personnel related to the disposal and placement of all types of refuse and recyclables. Harassment of any landfill personnel, in any manner, will not be tolerated and may result in revoking of landfill user privileges.
17. Loitering at the landfill is strictly prohibited. There is 30-minute time limit for discharge of cargo.
18. Scavenging at the convenience center, on the landfill face, at the transfer station, or in containers is strictly prohibited.
19. Children under the age of 16 must be closely supervised by an adult at all times. Children under the age of 16 are not permitted inside the transfer station.
20. Reflective safety vests must be worn on the transfer station floor. Hard hats, type I or II, are required by contractors, residents, employees or visitors on the tipping station floor or below the walls in the residential drop-off area. Contractors and businesses must provide hard hats for their workers. Persons in designated hard hat zones without proper protective gear will be asked to leave the area. Repeat offenders may have their permit privileges revoked.
21. Truck cleaning, if necessary, shall be performed at the transfer station when truck is emptied. All doors, gates, etc. must be secured before leaving the transfer station. The 30-minute unloading time limit includes truck cleaning.
22. Consumption of any alcoholic beverages is strictly prohibited on landfill property.
23. Motorbike or off-road vehicle riding is prohibited on landfill property.
24. Unauthorized parking of vehicles is prohibited. Vehicles not removed from the landfill by the closing time may be towed at the owner’s expense.
25. Sold products will be loaded onto purchaser’s trucks or trailers using standard industry loading recommendations or the best judgment of the landfill staff.
26. Howard County is not responsible for and shall not render assistance to any vehicle developing mechanical difficulty. Emergency towing will be provided entirely at vehicle owner's risk.
27. All laws, regulations and resolutions applicable to the landfill shall be strictly adhered to by all landfill users, including, but not limited to:
28. Howard County is not responsible for any injuries to persons or damage to vehicles at the landfill.
Las traducciones de las páginas del sitio web del condado de Howard se realizan mediante Google™ Translate. Google™ Translate es un servicio de traducción de idiomas en línea gratuito que permite traducir
textos y páginas web a otros idiomas. Estas traducciones son sólo una aproximación del contenido original del sitio web, por lo que la traducción puede incluir lenguaje incorrecto, engañoso, impreciso u ofensivo.
El condado no garantiza la exactitud o fiabilidad de cualquier información traducida por Google™ Translate. Cuando usted solicite una traducción a través de Google™ Translate, abandonará el sitio web del condado.
El condado no se encuentra afiliado de manera alguna con Google, no respalda el uso de la página de traducción de Google®, y proporciona un enlace a Google™ Translate únicamente para la comodidad de los usuarios
del sitio web del condado. Es posible que haya otros servicios de traducción en línea disponibles para su uso en el sitio web del condado. Cuando utiliza Google™ Translate, lo hace bajo su propia responsabilidad,
y es usted quien asume el riesgo de cualquier inexactitud, error u otros problemas que pueda experimentar con la traducción. El condado de Howard no se hace responsable de los errores, daños u otros problemas que
puedan resultar del uso de Google™ Translate.
Howard County website i holh aa let mi cahmai hna hi Google™ Translate ti mi nih a leh mi an si. Google™ Translate cu online i catial (text) le webpages pawl a lak te in online lila in holh phundang ah a lettu a si.
Cu bantuk holh lehnak nih cun website chung i a umcia bia kha a hrawnghrang lawng in a leh tawn i, cu ruang ah holh a leh tik ah aa palh mi tete, a fiang huaha lo mi, a hmaan lo mi silole ngaih nuam lo biafang aa tel kho mi
a si. Google™ Translate nih holh leh a tuah mi chung bia cu a dik bak silole i hngatchan awk a tlak ko, tiah County nih aamahkhannak a ngei lo. Google™ Translate nih holh ka lehpiak ko seh, na ti (request) ah cun, County
website na chuah taak lai. County hi Google he pehtlaihnak a ngeih lo, Google® translation zong a cohlang lo i, County website a hmang mi hna an tlamtlinnak ding zawnruahnak in Google™ Translate kong hngalh khawhnak link
te zong kan tuah chih ko. Online in catial a let mi dangdang kong zong County website ah a um men lai. Google™ Translate na hman tik ah, nangmah duh te in na hman a si ko i, a hmaan lo mi, aa palh rumro mi silole holh leh
kong i buaibainak tete na ton tik ah nangmah mawh a si kong naa fian cia a herh lai. Google™ Translate na hmang ruang i aa palhnak tete, a tlinlonak tete, silole a dang harnak tete a um sual kong ah Howard County cu zei
mawhphorhnak hmanh a ngei lai lo.
Howard County 웹사이트 페이지 번역은 Google™ Translate가 하고 있습니다. Google™ Translate 는 글과 웹 페이지를 다른 언어로 번역하는 무료 온라인 언어 번역 서비스입니다. 이런 기계 번역은 웹사이트 원래 내용을 대략적으로 전달할 뿐, 틀리거나, 오역하거나, 부정확하거나, 불쾌한 단어를 포함하고 있을 수 있습니다. County는 Google™ Translate로 번역된 정보의 정확성이나 신뢰도를 보증하지 않습니다.
Google™ Translate 번역을 요청한 사용자는 County 웹사이트를 떠나게 됩니다. County는 Google과 어떤 제휴 관계도 없으며 Google® 번역 사이트 사용을 권하는 것도 아닙니다. Google™ Translate 링크는 오직 County 웹사이트 사용자 편의를 위해 제공될 뿐입니다. County 웹사이트는 다른 온라인 번역 서비스로 쓸 수도 있습니다. 사용자는 번역의 부정확, 오류, 번역 때문에 겪을 수 있는 어려움을 자기 위험 부담으로 받아 들이고 Google™ Translate를 사용하는 것입니다. Howard County 는 Google™ Translate 사용으로 인한 실수, 피해 또는 다른 문제에 책임을 지지 않습니다.