Community Outreach & Education
The goals of Community Outreach & Education are to implement wellness initiatives that reduce health risk factors, improve wellness and safety, and maintain a productive and active Howard County community and work force.
This is accomplished this by:
- Providing health education in Howard County communities, schools, worksites, and health care settings
- Providing health information to the Howard County community about Health Department services and resources
- Partnering with community agencies to deliver effective health promotion and illness prevention services in Howard County
- Improving Howard County tobacco retailers’ awareness and compliance with Maryland tobacco laws
Population Health Initiatives
CAREAPP - connect to community programs and services
CAREAPP is a Howard County Health Department website that connects people to community programs and services, including resources for food, health, housing, transportation, education, employment assistance, and more.
CAREAPP can be used by community members seeking community programs. Translation functionality also built into the online platform. Learn more:
|English Postcard||CAREAPP Website (English)|
|Spanish Postcard||CAREAPP Website (Spanish)|
|Korean Postcard||CAREAPP Website (Korean)|
|Chinese Postcard||CAREAPP Website (Chinese)|
CAREAPP can also be used by service providers and community groups. Join the CAREAPP Network!
We are happy to provide educational materials, tabling, and in-person or virtual presentations to your organization. Our ability to honor your request is based on staffing and alignment with HCHD mission and vision. Please complete the Community Health Education Request Form and a Health Promotions staff member will contact you.
Journey to Better Health (J2BH) is a health improvement initiative aimed at increasing the identification and management of chronic disease in Howard County residents by leveraging the existing relationship between residents and their places of worship. Operated by Howard County General Hospital (HCGH) with funding from the Howard County Health Department (HCHD), the J2BH program aims to:
- Partner with Faith-based Organizations: Collaborate with Howard County faith-based organizations of any denomination to offer strategies for improving the health of their members.
- Chronic Disease Screenings and Education: Conduct screenings for hypertension, obesity and pre-diabetes and classes on chronic disease self-management within the congregations.
- Member Care Support Network: Train volunteers from congregations and the community to become Community Companions. Pair Community Companions with other members after a significant health event such as a hospitalization.