When we make our community more walkable, provide better options to connect and engage with one another, and support more accessible housing – people of all ages benefit. Age-Friendly communities foster independence, allowing residents of all ages and abilities to have great access to our amenities and services. With these discussions, we want to inform our community about how the plan will be implemented and how to stay involved to keep us on track to be an Age-Friendly Howard County.
In addition to residents, members of the Age-Friendly workgroups who created the action plan will participate in the discussion, to share perspectives and emphasize the goals of Age-Friendly.
“Community engagement is essential to implementing Age-Friendly Howard County,” said Jenna Crawley. “The Implementation Phase demonstrates community-wide innovations, sets strategic and coordinated priorities across the community and requires strong stakeholder engagement from across sectors. We are thrilled to see robust community involvement and interest in these Age-Friendly lunch and learns and implementing the Action Plan. This initiative is a new way of thinking, strategy, and collaboration to ensure Howard County is a community where all members remain connected and can fully participate.”
Howard County launched its Age-Friendly initiative in December 2019 and submitted its Age Friendly Action Plan to AARP in December 2021, which was then approved by the AARP. The plan includes 80 recommendations across eight domains that influence the health and quality of life of residents. Howard County will work to implement recommendations over the next three years.
The eight domains that are evidenced to influence the health and quality of life of older adults are:
- Outdoor spaces and buildings;
- Social participation;
- Respect and social inclusion;
- Civic participation and employment;
- Communication and information;
- Community support and health services.
The full schedule of Lunch & Learns is as follows. To register, please click here.
- Wednesday, June 29. 5:00 to 6:00 pm, East Columbia 50+ Center, 6600 Cradlerock Way, Columbia, MD 21045
- Wednesday, July 6, 11:30 am to 12:30 pm, Ellicott City 50+ Center, 9401 Frederick Road, Ellicott City, MD 21042
- Friday, July 8, Noon to 1:00 pm, Glenwood 50+ Center, 2400 Route 97, Cooksville, MD 21723
- Friday, July 15, Noon to 1:00 pm, Elkridge 50+ Center, 6540 Washington Boulevard, Elkridge, MD 21075