The Department of Community Resources & Services counts the safety and health of all of our community members as its top priority. We continue to monitor rates of infection and hospitalization associated with the coronavirus Delta Variant. Out of an abundance of caution and care for the health of our clients and team members, effective Monday, August 2, 2021, until further notice, all employees and visitors to DCRS facilities are required to wear masks while on the premises. Currently, regardless of vaccination status, the use of masks is highly encouraged by the Centers for Disease Control to mitigate the spread of Covid-19 and its variants within indoor settings and high-traffic areas.
To reach the 50+ Centers Central Line, call 410-313-5400 (voice/relay).
Explore 50+ Centers
Howard County has six 50+ Centers spread across different parts of the County (see list below). The types of programming offered at the 50+ Centers includes:
- Exercise and fitness classes
- Educational opportunities
- Social and recreational activities
- Volunteer opportunities
- Congregate meals (lunch)
- Kindred Spirits Social Club (for people with early stage memory loss)
As we each take steps to maintain our optimal health and wellness during the coronavirus pandemic, please know that the staff at Howard County Office on Aging and Independence continues to serve our community.
Our Patuxent Woods offices, the Loan Closet and our 50+ centers are now offering in-person services on a limited basis. Many of our employees are still teleworking, and we remain committed to providing excellent service and an optimal customer experience, whether in-person or virtual. We will continue to offer virtual programs to engage, inspire and motivate you, including exercise classes in various formats and levels as well as lifelong learning and creative opportunities.
The Department of Community Resources and Services (DCRS) facilities, including 50+ Centers, the Loan Closet, Patuxent Woods offices, and the Multiservice Center, will make all reasonable attempts to open on time in the event of inclement weather.
Call the DCRS Inclement Weather Line at 410-313-7777 (voice/relay) to learn of any delayed openings or closings. Additional Inclement Weather Updates can be found at www.howardcountymd.gov/DCRS or www.Facebook.com/HoCoCommunity.
If Howard County Public Schools are delayed or closed, DCRS classes and programs status is as follows:
- 1-hour school delay – DCRS facilities will open on time.
- 2-hour school delay – DCRS facilities will open on time. All classes and programs scheduled before 11am are canceled. Connections and Kindred Spirits Program are canceled. No congregate meals are served.
- Schools closed – DCRS facilities will strive to open on time. All classes and programs are canceled. Connections and Kindred Spirits Social Day Programs are canceled. No congregate meals are served.
If Howard County Public Schools cancel evening and weekend activities:
- DCRS facilities will be closed for evening hours and classes canceled after 4:30pm.
- For weekend activities, DCRS facilities will strive to open at 10:30am. All classes and programs are canceled.
Should weather conditions deteriorate, please call or check the operating status before going to the DCRS facility. All DCRS facilities are closed when Howard County Government is closed.
Membership in the 50+ Centers is free, but registration is required. A single registration is good for all Centers. To register:
- Visit a Center near you
- Download a registration packet below
OAI provides a variety of nutrition programs for individuals age 60+ and their spouses of any age. Voluntary, anonymous contributions are requested but not required for those age 60+. Individuals under age 60 may purchase a meal at its full cost. Meals are designed by a registered dietitian.
- Grab & Go
- Congregate Meals
- Home Delivered Meals