Howard County police have charged nine men in two separate burglary groups who targeted residences in the county in May and September.
Detectives worked with neighboring and regional jurisdictions to identify and apprehend the suspects, who are from New York and Florida. In recent years, similar groups have targeted high-value residences throughout the country, including some in Howard County.
With the help of the other investigating agencies, Howard County police tracked and observed one group as it attempted to break into a residence in Highland on Sept. 3. The group targeted a residence in the 7100 block of Deer Valley Road and attempted to enter it through the rear sliding glass door. Police arrested six suspects at the scene and charged them each with three counts of burglary and one count of destruction of property:
- Axll Castillo-Almeida, 22, of Queens, N.Y.
- Henry Castillo, 46, of Queens, N.Y.
- Jeremy Castillo, 23, of Queens, N.Y.
- Jose Cisneros-Mendoza, 24, of no fixed address
- Leandro Hernandez-Alarcon, 41, of no fixed address
- Ramiro Herrera-Martinez, 57, of Queens, N.Y.
In the other case, a victim reported that on May 2 her residence in the 10700 block of Scaggsville Road in Laurel was entered and more than $18,000 worth of jewelry was stolen. Detectives used numerous investigative techniques to identify three suspects, who were in custody in another jurisdiction. The suspects are each charged with three counts of burglary and one count of theft:
- Javier Carrasco Jr., 24, of no fixed address
- Felix Gonzalez, 52, of Miami
- Ignacio Parra-Otarola, 29, of no fixed address
Detectives continue to work with other agencies to connect the suspects to similar crimes throughout the region.