Youth Suicide Prevention Plan
If you, or someone you know is in crisis, contact:
◾Grassroots Crisis Intervention Center 24/7 at 410-531-6677 or
◾text HOME to 741741 (Crisis Text Line)
In Howard County, from 2014-2018, suicide was the number one cause of death for teens age 15-19. The Health Department developed an evidence-based Youth Suicide Prevention Plan to address the many components of the issue.
For more detailed information and to learn suicide warning signs and get tips about how to start a conversation visit teenhealthmatters.org
Mental Health & Suicide Prevention Infographics
- Howard County High Schools (front)
- Howard County High Schools (back)
- Howard County Middle Schools (front)
- Howard County Middle Schools (back)
Phase Two: Sources of Strength
The second phase of the Youth Suicide Prevention Program began in November 2019 with the implementation of the Sources of Strength Program. Sources of Strength is a best-practice youth suicide prevention project. Student peer leaders and adult advisors design and share Hope, Help and Strength-based messages with youth in the community to prevent suicide, bullying and substance use.
How does Sources of Strength work?
- Creates an interactive peer leadership program that influences positive social change
- Empowers students to create networks of connection and resiliency
- Increases help-seeking behaviors
- Promotes positive connections between peer leaders and adults
The first Sources of Strength class graduated in June 2020. Over the course of the first year, 44 students representing 12 Howard County high schools participated in one or more meeting. These monthly meetings (virtual starting in April) included strength-building activities that focused on reducing stigma, developing empathy, reaching out to others, and sharing stories of strength and hope. Congratulations to the first class of graduates and thanks to all the adult volunteers who participated.
Prevention Program Information and Materials
To request Community-based Training, Presentations, Materials and Information, visit https://bit.ly/2H6cYJW
To view a calendar of upcoming community partner events, click HERE.
- Howard County Middle School infographic (updated 09/2020)
- Howard County High School infographic (updated 09/2020)
- It's OK to Ask. rack card
*** FOR MEDIA*** Suicide Reporting Recommendations