Supports for assisted living include a combination of housing and services to help people live in the least restrictive environment while maintaining the highest levels of stability and safety. Most assisted living programs are paid for with private funds. The Office on Aging and Independence offers several resources that may be able to help.
Payment Assistance Programs
Senior Assisted Living Subsidy (SALS)
- The SALS program provides a monthly State-funded subsidy on behalf of the eligible resident to defray the cost of fees associated with licensed assisted living programs which have entered into a service agreement with the Howard County Office of Aging and Independence.
- Eligible applicants must be at least 62 years of age, admitted to an approved assisted living program, and qualify financially. For more information about the SALS program, call Maryland Access Point (MAP) at (410)313-1234 (voice/relay).
Home and Community-Based Options Waiver
- The Community Options Waiver provides services and supports to enable eligible individuals to live in their own homes. In Maryland, assisted living residents on the Medicaid Community Options Waiver can receive assistance to cover room and board. For more information, call Maryland Access Point (MAP) at (410)313-1234 (voice/relay).
Veterans Administration Aid & Attendance
- Aid and Attendance is a special enhanced pension for eligible veterans to receive additional funds to assist with care needs. Please view the fact sheet below for more information.
Long-Term Care Insurance
- Long-Term Care Insurance is a policy with coverage that provides nursing home care, home health care, and adult day services for individuals aged 65 and older, or with a chronic or disabling condition. The extent of the coverage depends on the policy. Review your contract for details as policy coverage varies.