Howard County Police Department Fallen Heroes

Cpl. Scott Wheeler, End of watch: June 18, 2007

Cpl. Scott WheelerDuring the early morning hours of June 18, 2007, the Howard County Police Department lost a dedicated officer and friend. Cpl. Scott Wheeler was working a speed enforcement detail and was struck by a vehicle he was attempting to stop for a speeding violation. Wheeler was dedicated to the profession. He received a Commendation Certificate at the 2007 Awards Ceremony for his work in alcohol enforcement during the 2006 Merriweather Post Pavilion concert season. During his six and a half year career, Wheeler was named Police Officer of the Month on three occasions, received a unit citation and was named one of the agency’s Top DUI Enforcers in 2002. Wheeler graduated from the HCPD special weapons and tactics school and served as a member of the decentralized tactical team. Wheeler was equally dedicated to his favorite football team, the Oakland Raiders. Friends and family remembered him best for his infectious laugh and his black and silver painted face and Raiders costumes on game days.

Recruit Ofc. Roger Dale Cassell Jr., End of watch: Nov. 2, 1994

Recruit Ofc. Roger Dale Cassell Jr.On Nov. 2, 1994, Recruit Ofc. Roger Dale Cassell Jr. collapsed following a training exercise in the police academy. He was 28 years old. Cassell was a well respected, enthusiastic police recruit, and the department had very high expectations for this native son of Howard County. Cassell joined the Howard County Department of Police in September 1994 and was on the path to fulfill his lifelong dream of becoming a police officer. His interest in law enforcement seemed to be a natural development: Both his father and brother work in law enforcement. Cassell was a decorated war veteran and received the Army Achievement Medal and Maryland Governor’s Citation for his accomplishments in the Persian Gulf War. He was an avid sports fan and an all-county football player in high school.

Ofc. Randolph “Randy” Brightwell, End of watch: May 29, 1961

Ofc. Randolph 'Randy' BrightwellOfc. Randolph “Randy” Brightwell was shot and killed on May 29, 1961. He was gunned down on Fels Lane in Ellicott City during a car stop following an armed robbery. Both suspects were apprehended a short time afterward. Brightwell was 33 years old and the father of two small children. Brightwell was one of the first K9 handlers for any county police agency in the state of Maryland. His K9 partner Prince was working with him when he was killed. In tribute to the ultimate sacrifice made by Brightwell, the police department posthumously awarded its highest commendation, the Medal of Honor, to Brightwell.

Fallen Heroes from Other Agencies

Shaft S. Hunter, Maryland State Police, End of Watch: May 21, 2011

Maryland State Police Trooper First Class Shaft S. Hunter was killed when his patrol car collided with the back of a tractor trailer that was parked on the shoulder of I-95 in Howard County. It is believed he was pursuing a speeding motorcycle when the collision occurred. Hunter had served with Maryland State Police for 11 years.

Theodore D. Wolf Sr., Maryland State Police, End of Watch: March 29, 1990

Maryland State Police Cpl. Theodore "Ted" D. Wolf Sr. was shot and killed during a traffic stop on I-95 on March 29, 1990, by two suspects smuggling drugs in a stolen vehicle. Wolf was assigned to the MSP Waterloo barrack and worked closely with many Howard County police officers.

Frank J. Miller, Howard County Deputy Sheriff, End of Watch: June 7, 1946

Howard County Deputy Sheriff Frank J. Miller died of a heart attack after struggling with a prisoner on June 7, 1946. Miller had worked as a deputy sheriff for 29 years, often patrolling Ellicott City and Elkridge prior to the establishment of the county police.

Charles T. Weber, Howard County Constable, End of Watch: Nov. 10, 1924

Constable Charles T. Weber died on Nov. 10, 1924, from injuries sustained after being dragged alongside a vehicle. When Weber stepped up onto the running board of an occupied vehicle, the driver suddenly sped off. Weber suffered multiple injuries and died three days later as a result of the incident. He had served as a constable for the first district since 1915.