Food Protection Program

The Food Protection Program is responsible for ensuring that all retail food service facilities in Howard County serve food that is free from disease or conP8240047tamination. Our Program licenses facilities such as restaurants, grocery and convenience stores, and school cafeterias. Additional licenses are also issued to mobile and temporary food vendors operating within Howard County. In addition to inspecting and monitoring retail food facilities, we also assist State and Federal authorities with food recalls and illness investigations. 

To report nuisance conditions or potential health issues you have observed, fill out the Health Related Issues Complaint Form or contact

If you think you are sick due to eating bad food or food product, contact the Bureau of Environmental Health at 410-313-1772.  After business hours, leave a message with your call back information and we will return your call first thing the morning of the following day.

food truck Howard County Mobile Food Vendor License - Yellow
Do you enjoy eating at food trucks? To be sure you are eating at a clean and safe truck, look for a prominently displayed food license (in yellow or pink).  That will tell you that the truck and its operations have been inspected for safety and cleanliness.  Then, enjoy the food!


Maryland Department of Health Food Protection Program

To read the PDF version of the:
Food Code in English click here.
Food Code in Spanish click here.
Food Code in Korean click here.

Animals in Food Facilities  
Code for Animals in Food Facilities

Food Inspections
Our Program has upgraded this website to provide you with more detailed information about the food inspections we conduct. You may receive inspections for each of the retail food facilities in Howard County if you contact the Program at 410-313-1772. The inspection reports include a summary of violations that were found, but do not currently include the inspectors comments on the violations.

Excluded Non-Profit Organization

Excluded Non-Profit Organizations Fact Sheet
Non-Profit Organization Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Covered Dish Affairs

Food Service Facility Information:
Mobile Food Service Requirements
Pit Beef/Charcoal Pit Requirements
Snowball Stand Requirements
Farmer's Market Food License Application
Standards for the Dispensing of Food from Temporary Facilities
Temporary Food Vendor Checklist
Temporary Food Establishment Application

Forms & Applications
Requirements for Opening a Food Service Business
HACCP Plan Guidelines
Plan Review Process for Foodservice Facilities
Food Service Manager Card Application
Public Information Act (PIA) Request

Food Safety Tips & Resources

Food Talk (subscriptions available thru Setana Publishing, LLC)
          This publication was reproduced with permission of Setana Publishing. The posting of this article does not serve as an endorsement of this company.

Wash Your Hands (in English and Spanish)
Food Tips After a Storm or Power Outage