Howard County’s original jail, in Ellicott City, opened in 1878. The Emory Street Jail was built to accommodate 12 inmates. In 1975, the Division of Corrections was established under former County Executive Edward Cochran. Gerald H. McClellan was appointed as the division’s first Director of Corrections. Several years later, the Division of Corrections was established as a Department.
The Department also by contract houses detainees in the custody of the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency. It is the policy of the Howard County Department of Corrections to only accept detainees from ICE who are criminally