Home | Careers | Font size A A A
Click here to signup for notifications from Howard County Maryland Government

Police: File a complaint against police personnel

The Howard County Department of Police Internal Affairs Division handles the investigation of all complaints against police personnel. To make a complaint, a citizen may make a written statement or call the Internal Affairs Division at 410-313-5800, the northern district duty officer at 410-313-3200 or the southern district duty officer at 410-313-3700.

When filing a written statement, please complete each section with as much detail as possible. Additional pages may be attached, if needed, to summarize the incident. The form must be signed and may be brought to any police station, neighborhood police satellite office or mailed to Howard County Department of Police, Internal Affairs Division, 3410 Court House Drive, Ellicott City, MD 21043.

Pursuant to Maryland law, any complaint of improper use of force must be accompanied by a written, signed and notarized affidavit within 90 days of the incident.

Please note that making false accusations or statements may lead to civil and criminal actions.

A supervisor will contact the complainant when the complaint is assigned for investigation.

Internal Affairs Process

Complaint against police personnel form
Use of force affidavit

Citizens who do not want to file a complaint but who want to provide feedback to the department can utilize the online citizen survey.