CPR information and classes
When an adult goes into sudden cardiac arrest (SCA), his or her survival depends on immediately getting cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) from someone nearby. Eighty eight percent of all cardiac arrests occur at home or at work, so the chances of your knowing the victim are very high.
According to the American Heart Association, nationwide less than 1/3 of those who suffer cardiac arrest at home, work, or in a public place receive CPR. As a result 300,000 people die each year in the U.S. Often, it’s because bystanders don’t know CPR!
Howard County is leading the way in Maryland with a survival rate of 40% for SCA victims whose arrests are witnessed, bystander CPR is performed, and HCDFRS personnel arrive and take over. Here is how you can help:
- Get trained in CPR! Sign up with us to attend a Hands-Only CPR class and learn how to save the life of someone in cardiac arrest.
- Spread the word! Tell your family, friends, and co-workers about our program.
- Help save a life! When SCA happens, act fast! Call 911 and begin CPR until help arrives.
Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services (HCDFRS) offers Hands-Only CPR training at no cost to Howard County residents, organizations, and businesses. The following links provide additional information about our programs:
Family and Friends CPR
Upcoming dates for CPR classes:
February 5th: Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage 6031 University Blvd. Ste. 100 Ellicott City, MD 21043. Adult, Child & Infant class at 9:30am and a Hands-Only class at 1:30pm.
- February 10th: 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. at Gateway
- February 23rd: 6 p.m. -8 p.m. at PSTC
- March 15th: 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. at Gateway
- April 6th: 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. at PSTC
- April 27th: 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. at Gateway
- May 18th: 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. at Gateway
- June 7th: 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. at PSTC
- June 29th: 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. at Gateway
Gateway = HCDFRS Headquarters, 6751 Columbia Gateway Dr, Suite 400, Columbia, MD 21046
PSTC = Public Safety Training Center, 2200 Scott Wheeler Dr, Marriottsville, MD 21104
For our Family & Friends CPR Classes, please email email@example.com for a spot in the class.
You can also sign up online by clicking here.
**FOR HOWARD COUNTY GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES ONLY Click here**
For Howard County residents and members of the general public who require CPR certification as a condition of employment in the county- CPR Certification