Medicare Counseling - Provided by SHIP
Medicare Information & Education Events NEW Schedule
The State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) meets one of the most universal needs of older persons today: assistance with health insurance concerns. Health insurance information and counseling services are available for persons age 50 and older and to Medicare beneficiaries regardless of age.
The Howard County SHIP provides trained staff and volunteer counselors whose services are confidential and free of charge. Counselors provide in-person and telephone assistance in the following general areas:
• Medicare benefits and coverage
• Medicare supplements including Medigap plans, group health plans (employer, union, TRICARE for Life, COBRA, Medicaid/Medical Assistance)
• Medicare Prescription Drug Plans
• Medicare Advantage Plans (Health Maintenance Organization, Preferred Provider Organization, Medical Savings Account, Private Fee-for-Service and Special Needs)
• Long Term Care Insurance
• Benefit programs for low-income persons
• Assistance and advocacy with denials, appeals and grievances
• Billing problems
• Health care fraud and abuse
• Volunteer Counselor opportunities
• Free public educational presentations. Click here for a list of upcoming Medicare information events.
SHIP's services are available primarily at The Bain Center, Monday through Friday during normal business hours. Limited service is offered at the Ellicott City Senior Center on Wednesday mornings. Home visits can be arranged for persons unable to leave their homes. Public presentations are offered regularly throughout the county and upon request from any community group.
Contact a Howard County SHIP Counselor:
In person (SHIP counselors see clients by appointment only):
The Bain Center
5470 Ruth Keeton Way
Columbia, MD 21044
By phone: 410-313-7392 (voice/relay)
Please leave a message and a SHIP counselor will return your call within 1 to 2 business days.
Send an email to SHIP
Call 410-313-7392 to arrange an in-home visit (for those that are unable to leave their homes).
Attend a free Medicare presentation:
Click here for a list of upcoming Medicare information events.