Police: Citizens Police Academy
The Howard County Police Department offers county residents the opportunity to participate in the Citizens Police Academy program. This free, interactive, 12-week course gives participants an inside look into the department’s day-to-day operations and provides an understanding of what it is really like to be a police officer in Howard County. Classes are taught by police instructors in a police academy setting at the James N. Robey Public Safety Training Center in Marriottsville.
Participants will experience:
- Tours of the police department, crime lab and 911 call center
- Courses on traffic laws and enforcement, defensive tactics, use of force, community policing, criminal investigations, gangs and more
- Presentations by the department’s K9 unit and tactical unit
- Interactive firearms training on a firearms simulator and police pursuit and driver training
- Ride-along with a police officer
- Be Howard County residents
- At least 18 years old
- Have no criminal record
- Commit to attend all 12 sessions
The department will offer a Citizens Police Academy beginning on Sept. 14, 2015. For an application, click here. Deadline to register is Aug. 21.
For more information, call 410-313-1364.