Bulk Item & Scrap Metal Collection
We're hard on ourselves and assume nobody wants our junk, but people would love to have our old items...
- Set your item at the curb with a FREE sign and support reuse!
- The Loading Dock will pick-up reusable building supplies (toilets, sinks, doors, windows, etc.).
- Salvation Army (1-800-SA-TRUCK), American Veterans (1-800-292-2259), Purple Heart (410-789-7692) and Vietnam Veterans (1-800-459-8387) will pick-up other usable goods (furniture, clothes, toys, housewares, etc.).
- A Wider Circle accepts used furniture for low-income families.
- List items on Craigslist or FreeCycle. It's easy and people will quickly pick-up your item.
- Howard County's BULK PICKUP Program - Should none of the alternatives shown above fit your needs, Howard County has a limited bulk item pickup service as explained below.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Bulk Items must be placed for collection at CURBSIDE, within 5 feet of the county roadway.
Want more donation options? See our Donation Directory.
Click on the images for printable information.
Only those residents currently receiving curbside trash collection are eligible for curbside bulk trash and metal collection. Please note that all Howard County residents can take bulk material to the Alpha Ridge Residents' Convenience Area for recycling or disposal.
Bulk Plastic Items
Bulk plastic items such as playhouses & play sets (disassembled), totes, sheds (disassembled), lawn furniture and coolers can be recycled. Place these items at the curb on your regular recycling day. Unlimited amounts of recycling will be accepted.
Bulk Trash Items
Remember: Bulk trash items collected by the County will be sent to a landfill. For donating or selling reusable items, please see the list above. One's trash is another's treasure!
Pickup of bulk trash items must be scheduled by calling 410-313-6444 or using our online scheduler. Large trash items such as mattresses, box springs, chairs, sofas, dressers and tables will be collected. After scheduling, place these items at the curb on your regular trash day. Maximum of 4 large trash items will be collected per pickup. Items must be able to be lifted by two collection crew members (larger items will be tagged and left for the resident's disposal).
Bulk Metal Items
Pickup of scrap metal items must be scheduled by calling 410-313-6444. After scheduling, you will be given your collection day. Bulk metal items include metal swing sets, file cabinets, appliances, lawn mowers, exercise equipment, etc. Please remove doors from refrigerators, and drain oil and gas from lawn mowers. Restrictions may apply.
NOTE: It is illegal for anyone except Howard County's contractors to pick-up scrap metal at the curb (Howard County Code 18.610)
Items Not Accepted
Chairs with electric plugs
Compressed gas tanks*
Construction & demolition debris
Fuel & oil tanks
Picnic tables (wooden)
Playhouses/swing sets (wooden)
Stumps and logs*
* These items can be recycled at Alpha Ridge Landfill (2350 Marriottsville Road).
** Electronics can be recycled at Alpha Ridge Landfill or through customer take-back programs. Visit our electronics webpage for specific locations.
Construction & Demolition Debris
If you have construction & demolition debris to get rid of, please visit our Construction & Demolition Debris webpage. Or, consider The Bagster, a flexible 'dumpster' service provided by Waste Management. Purchase a Bagster from your local home improvement store, fill the bag with material and contact Waste Management for pick-up. Visit Waste Management's Bagster website for more details.