06.05.12 Howard County Housing to Close Rental Assistance and Housing Waiting Lists
June 5, 2012
Media Contacts: Kevin Enright, Director, Office of Public Information, 410-313-2022
Thomas P. Carbo, Director, Howard County Housing, 410-313-6318
Applications will no longer be accepted after 5 p.m. on Friday, June 29
Howard County Housing to Close Rental Assistance and Housing Waiting Lists
ELLICOTT CITY, MD – Howard County Housing has announced that applications for the County’s rental assistance (housing choice voucher) and rental housing (public housing and County rental) programs will no longer be accepted after 5 p.m. on Friday, June 29. Applications postmarked after Friday, June 29, will be returned to the sender.
The waiting lists for these two programs currently have a sufficient number of applications to fill any available subsidy or vacant unit for the next 12 months. Additionally, the two programs have insufficient funds and/or vacant units that are available to assist applicants on the waiting list in what is deemed a reasonable amount of time of 12 to 36 months.
Howard County Housing will still continue to process requests for emergency housing assistance for Howard County residents ONLY, when funding is available and according to Housing’s local preference guidelines. The local emergency preference is Involuntary Displacement and is defined as:
• Residents living in substandard housing;
• Residents displaced by a no fault fire or flood or natural disaster;
• Eminent domain proceedings;
• Court or code enforcement action that deem a dwelling unfit to occupy;
• A family with a child that has an elevated blood level and currently resides in a lead contaminated dwelling;
• A County resident displaced from affordable housing due to property sale, demolition or program discontinuation;
• A County resident participating in a Witness Assistance/Protection Program;
• A County resident participating in a federal, state or locally funded demonstration program that serves a population under-represented on a waiting list and that Howard County Housing deems critical to the provision of fair and equitable housing services; and
• A County resident who is homeless
Those interested in applying for either of Housing’s program waiting lists before the Friday, June 29, 5 p.m. deadline, may retrieve an application from Housing’s headquarters at 6751 Columbia Gateway Drive, 3rd Floor in Columbia between the hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday thru Friday, or from their website www.howardcountymd.gov/housing.htm. Applications may be submitted either in person or by mail; faxed or e-mailed applications will NOT be accepted.
For questions or comments regarding the closing of Housing’s waiting lists, please contact Samuel Tucker either by phone: 410-313-6318, e-mail: email@example.com, or by mail: Howard County Housing, Attn: Samuel Tucker, Program Chief, 6751 Columbia Gateway Drive, 3rd floor, Columbia, Maryland 21046.
A public announcement will be made when the waiting list for either program re-opens; however, there is no estimated time for that action.