Commission for Women
Howard County's Commission for Women announces the Women's Hall of Fame 2014 Induction Ceremony
View the Women's Hall of Fame 2014 program.
About the Howard County Commission for Women:
The Howard County Commission for Women was established by statute in 1980 to promote the economic, social and political equality of women. The Commission has the authority to conduct studies, review progress, recommend action, and carry on activities to support this purpose. This may include:
- Collecting, analyzing and disseminating information to assist in changing attitudes and eliminating discriminatory behavior
- Studying conditions which demonstrate inequalities and unmet needs concerning women, issuing position papers, and recommending procedures or legislation to remedy them
- Stimulating efforts to expand educational and employment opportunities for women
- Promoting recognition of women’s accomplishments
- Publicizing activities and services of interest to women
The Commission meets on the 2nd Tuesday of most months at 7:00pm in the Gateway Building, 6751 Columbia Gateway Dr, Columbia MD. Meeting time and place is subject to change; please call 410-313-6400 to verify. All meetings of Howard County boards and commissions are open to the public, except under those circumstances in which a closed meeting is permitted by law. NOTE: If you need accommodations to participate in these meetings, please call 410-313-6400 (voice/relay) at least seven days in advance.
The Commission is comprised of twelve members, including one high school student, who are appointed by the County Executive and confirmed by the County Council. Current members are:
- Jennifer Ransaw-Smith, Chair
- Lori Fuchs, Vice Chair
- Joan Webb Scornaienchi, Recording Secretary
- Nina Basu
- Chineta Davis
- Kristen Detwiler
- Athena Kan
- Mary Jo Neil
- Suellen Seigel
- Joslyn Wolfe
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Commission, please contact Jackie Scott, Executive Secretary, at email@example.com.
Additional information and resources:
To contact the Commission, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-313-6400 voice/relay. To request this informationin an alternative format, contact Jo Woltze at 410-313-6400 or email@example.com .
2014 Women's Hall of Fame Information
The 2014 Women's Hall of Fame ceremony will take place on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Howard Community College's Rouse Company Foundation Student Services Hall, 4th floor. Click here to view the full list of Howard County's Women's Hall of Fame members.