Commission for Women
The Commission will meet on Tuesday, August 27, 2014 at 7pm at the Gateway Building, 3rd floor, in the Housing Department conference room (go right after coming off elevator to Housing). The Gateway Building is located at 6751 Columbia Gateway Drive, Columbia, MD 21046.
The Women’s Giving Circle of Howard County (WGC), a fund of the Community Foundation of Howard County invites tax-exempt organizations serving girls and women in the County to present Letters of Interest (LOI) for long-term initiatives in Howard County. Grants will be for multi-year award(s) totaling up to $100,000 over the grant period of January 1, 2015 – December 31, 2017. Funding is intended to support programs for Howard County residents and may be applied to new and/or existing initiatives that meet one or more of the following objective(s):
- Increase the life skills of women and girls
- Encourage the healthy development and personal authority of young girls
- Develop and/or foster the long term emotional strength of girls and women
- Contribute to the long term self-sufficiency of girls and women
The WGC anticipates selecting up to four agencies to receive multi-year grants. Individual grants may not exceed a total funding level of $100,000 for the 3-year grant period. The applicant may propose the level of funding required for each year of the grant period. Continued funding is contingent on satisfactory progress and the continued availability of funds. The grant application deadline is 5:00 pm on June 30, 2014. For applications and more information, click here.
About the Howard County Commission for Women:
The Howard County Commission for Women was established by statute in 1980 to promote the economic, social and political equality of women. The Commission has the authority to conduct studies, review progress, recommend action, and carry on activities to support this purpose. This may include:
- Collecting, analyzing and disseminating information to assist in changing attitudes and eliminating discriminatory behavior
- Studying conditions which demonstrate inequalities and unmet needs concerning women, issuing position papers, and recommending procedures or legislation to remedy them
- Stimulating efforts to expand educational and employment opportunities for women
- Promoting recognition of women’s accomplishments
- Publicizing activities and services of interest to women
The Commission meets on the 2nd Tuesday of most months at 7:00pm in the Gateway Building, 6751 Columbia Gateway Dr, Columbia MD. Meeting time and place is subject to change; please call 410-313-6400 to verify. All meetings of Howard County boards and commissions are open to the public, except under those circumstances in which a closed meeting is permitted by law. NOTE: If you need accommodations to participate in these meetings, please call 410-313-6400 (voice/relay) at least seven days in advance.
The Commission is comprised of twelve members, including one high school student, who are appointed by the County Executive and confirmed by the County Council. Current members are:
- Nina Basu, Chair
- Joan Webb Scornaienchi, Vice Chair
- Suellen Seigel, Secretary
- Chineta Davis
- Lori Fuchs
- Treena Greene
- Mary Jo Neil
- Joslyn Wolfe
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Commission, please contact Jackie Scott, Executive Secretary, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional information and resources:
To contact the Commission, email email@example.com or call 410-313-6400 voice/relay. To request this informationin an alternative format, contact Jo Woltze at 410-313-6400 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
2014 Women's Hall of Fame Information
Click here to view the full list of Howard County's Women's Hall of Fame members.