Commission for Women
County Executive Allan Kittleman (left) and Howard County Council Chair Mary Kay Sigaty (right) congratulate the five extraordinary women who were inducted into the Howard County Women's Hall of Fame on March 12, 2015. They are, from left, Colette Roberts, Lenore Gelfman, Courtney Watson, Margaret "Peg" Whyte, and Mavis Polson Lewis.
Meet the 2015 Women's Hall of Fame Inductees
About the Howard County Commission for Women:
The Howard County Commission for Women was established by statute in 1980 to promote the economic, social and political equality of women. The Commission has the authority to conduct studies, review progress, recommend action, and carry on activities to support this purpose. This may include:
- Collecting, analyzing and disseminating information to assist in changing attitudes and eliminating discriminatory behavior
- Studying conditions which demonstrate inequalities and unmet needs concerning women, issuing position papers, and recommending procedures or legislation to remedy them
- Stimulating efforts to expand educational and employment opportunities for women
- Promoting recognition of women’s accomplishments
- Publicizing activities and services of interest to women
The Commission will meet on Monday, June 15, 2015 from 7 to 9 pm at the Gateway Building, 6751 Columbia Gateway Drive, Columbia, MD 21046.
The Commission meets on the second Tuesday of most months at 7:00pm in the Gateway Building, 6751 Columbia Gateway Dr, Columbia MD. Meeting time and place is subject to change; please call 410-313-6400 to verify. All meetings of Howard County boards and commissions are open to the public, except under those circumstances in which a closed meeting is permitted by law. NOTE: If you need accommodations to participate in these meetings, please call 410-313-6400 (voice/relay) at least seven days in advance.
The Commission is comprised of twelve members, including one high school student, who are appointed by the County Executive and confirmed by the County Council. Current members are:
- Nina Basu, Chair
- Joan Webb Scornaienchi, Vice Chair
- Suellen Seigel, Secretary
- Lori Fuchs
- Treena Greene
- Mary Jo Neil
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Commission, please contact Jackie Scott, Executive Secretary, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional information and resources:
To contact the Commission, email email@example.com or call 410-313-6400 voice/relay. To request this information in an alternative format, contact Jo Woltze at 410-313-6400 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Howard County Women's Hall of Fame Information
Click here to view the full list of Howard County's Women's Hall of Fame members.