Water Quality Begins At Home
April 5, 2014
10:00am - 4:00pm
Howard Community College
Burrill Galleria and Quad (click for map)
RAIN OR SHINE! (Most of GreenFest is inside.)
Join us for a free family event celebrating Earth Month on Saturday, April 5 from 10:00am – 4:00pm at Howard Community College in the Burrill Galleria. Vendors and non-profit displays will provide practical information about steps to take both at home and work to promote better water quality and a greener lifestyle.
Be sure to collect your favorite great green giveaways throughout the festival! Lunch will be available for purchase from two local vendors.
Here are some highlights to look forward to:
- Wake up with Fair Trade Coffee & Birds at 10am
- Outdoor Nature Play Space
- Live Reptile and Birds
- Kids Crafts
- Mini Farmers Market
- Solar Telescopes
- Tree/Shrub Planting
- Free Compost Bins
- Workshops and Speakers
- Local Green Businesses and Non-Profits
AND MORE!!! (Click here for the schedule of events)
Native Plant Sale
Visit a variety of local native plant sellers. Ask questions, learn about what native plants will do well in your yard and purchase! 10-4 on the Quad.
Student Forum: Share Your Success
Students from area high schools will provide an overview of successful environmental projects at their schools and lessons learned. Projects include rain gardens, electronics recycling and more. Students can connect and learn more in the networking reception that is included. 1:30-2:30.
Rain Barrel Workshop
Two 1-hour long rain barrel workshops will be offered at GreenFest (10am and 12pm). Howard County residents (ONLY) can sign up to receive a free rain barrel with parts for at-home assembly. NOTE: Registration is closed for these workshops.
Howard County will sponsor a free shredding event for all residents from 10am - 2pm in Parking Lot A at the Community College. The maximum limit is 3 bags or boxes per person of materials to be shredded. The shredder also accepts computer disks and compact discs (cd's) for shredding if valuable information is on them. For more details about shredding please contact 410-313-6444.
Check out the times and titles of the workshops and outdoor activities HERE to plan your day at GreenFest.
Collection for Reuse and Recycling:
- Denim (for recycling into insulation)
- Bikes (for Bikes for the World)
- Sneakers (recycled into playground surfaces)
- Cell phones
- Clothing (for Goodwill)
- Building Materials (for Habitat for Humanity)
Become a fan of HoCoGreenFest on Facebook!
Take the Bus! Click here to find your bus route to HCC.
If you are interested in joining us as a vendor, speaker or with a family-friendly activity, please fill out the vendor form below to join the waiting list and be contacted for next year's GreenFest.. Spaces are assigned on a first come, first served basis. To submit an application and for more information, please contact Alan Wilcom at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-313-6433.
Vendor Application for 2014
What happened in 2013?
The event was 100% wind powered (thanks to a donation of credits from Clean Currents!) and included:
- Native Plant Sale all day on the Quad
- Over 100 pairs of jeans for Denim collection for recycling into insulation
- 4 tons of electronics collected for recycling
- 7 tons of paper shredding
- 40 pairs of eyeglasses for donation
- 25 cell phones for donation and recycling
- Over 70 bikes and 2 sewing machines for Bikes for the World
- Numerous items for Goodwill
- 70 pairs of shoes for Nike Re-Use A Shoe and Goodwill
- Children's nature play space
- Children's craft and nature activity
- Tree/shrub planting on-site
- Live reptiles and birds
- Mini farmers' market
- Solar telescopes for viewing on the Quad
- Rain barrel workshops including 50 free barrels given away
- Compost and gardening/landscaping workshops and speakers
- Free compost bin giveaway
- Local green businesses and information on sustainable products
For a complete list of vendors and activities, see the 2013 GreenFest Brochure.
A GIANT thank you to our 2013 sponsors:
- Allen & Shariff Corporation
- Aurora Energy, Inc.
- Bath Fitter
- Central Maryland Regional Transit
- Clean Currents
- Climate Change Initiative of Howard County
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority
- Dr. Energy Saver
- Ener G, LLC
- Friends & Farms
- Kevin's Closet, LLC
- Lauren's Garden Service
- MOM's Organic Market
- RePax, Inc.
- Renewal by Anderson
- Summit Insulation
- Transition Howard County
- University of MD Extension, Howard County Master Gardeners
- Waste Management Recycle America
- Welsh Remodeling Company
Thank you to all of our wonderful volunteers! We couldn't do it without you.
Become a fan of Howard County GreenFest on Facebook and follow @LiveGreenHoward on Twitter.
Check out all the fun we've had during past GreenFests, including themes, attendance, photos and more: