Substance Abuse Assessment and Treatment
SUBSTANCE ABUSE & ADDICTION SERVICES
The Health Department's Bureau of Substance Abuse Services is the only publicly funded prevention and integrated treatment (substance abuse and mental health) program in Howard County. We treat patients regardless of ability of pay. Services are provided at the Gateway Counseling Center for adults and adolescents. Assessment, individual, group, case management, psychiatric and family services are offered. Walk-in assessments are available on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Assessments are by appointment only on Wednesdays and Fridays. Specialized services include gender specific groups, acupuncture, treatment for the dually diagnosed (mental illness and substance abuse) and referrals for in-patient treatment. Fees for treatment are based on a sliding scale.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Thursday
8:30 AM – 8:30 PM
Friday 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Closed Saturday and Sunday
Levels of Care Provided for Adults and Adolescents
- Early Intervention - For those who are not substance dependent but have displayed some warning signs or problematic use.
- Outpatient - Groups, and individual counseling are available for those with an identified drug or alcohol problem
- Intensive Outpatient - Support for patients needing more intensive help to stay clean and sober (9 or more hours per week)
- Halfway House - For adult men who have completed a phase of treatment, are stable and in need of housing that supports a sober life style with continuing care.
- Alcohol/drug assessments
- Detention Center and Court evaluations
- FREE confidential screenings for adolescents confidentially referred through Howard County Public Schools' Student Assistance Programs (SAP)
Treatment Tailored to Individual Needs
We do not believe in the “one size fits all" approach, so our range of services includes:
- Help for co-occurring disorders /dual diagnosis (mental illness combined with substance abuse)
- Buprenorphine Detox and Maintenance
- Continuing care following residential treatment
- Separate adolescent and adult programs
- Gender-specific groups for those needing all-male or all-female treatment
- Special topic groups for teens including anger management, relationships, and vocational skills.
- Random monitored
- Psychiatric services for medication consultation and monitoring
Our certified program is staffed with State licensed and/or certified counselors. We accept most insurance, Medical Assistance and Primary Adult Care (PAC). Fees are based on a sliding scale. No one is refused services because of the inability to pay. All records are strictly confidential.
Howard County Resource Directory for Substance Abuse Treatment & Recovery
Directions to Health Department Clinics
Columbia Health Center
Cancer Control Center at Gateway
Health Department at Gateway
Southeastern Health Center
The services and facilities of the Howard County Health Department are non-discriminatory. Our policy prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, national origin, and mental or physical disability. By state law, services are extended to adolescents without parental consent. The Howard County Health Department complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act to ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are given an opportunity to participate in and benefit from all services and programs. For more information about accessibility, call 410-313-6300.
Our certified program is staffed with State licensed counselors. We accept most insurance and Medical Assistance. Fees are based on a sliding scale. No one is refused services because of the inability to pay. All records are strictly confidential.
For more information, please call 410-313-6202 or toll free at 1-866-313-6300.
Or you may send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In this Section: